Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1999 Chevy Suburban (k1500) Need help

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2016, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevy Suburban (k1500) Need help

Ok so Thursday June 30th 2016 I was on the way home driving this truck. Going about 70 on the interstate I started loosing speed. I tap the gas, the pedal went all the way down to the floor. The steering wheel got super tight, really hard to turn to get over to the shoulder. I open the hood, it was smoking really bad from the thermostat and freeze plug, and also the radiator. Got it towed home that night. Oil and water are not mixing but is leaking water. Tried to crank it and it sounds as if its trying to turn over but something is stopping it. I have accepted the fact that I may need a motor but I am wondering if there is anything else that could be causing this. What would stop the motor from turning over?? So when I try to crank it tries tto turn but there is a clunk..... piston? Warped cylinder? Mind you this truck was driving perfectly before this tragedy. Also this is a 5.7L V8 2wd-4wd. Gas engine.

Last edited by BurbanLady; July 4th, 2016 at 8:53 PM. Reason: adding info
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sounds like it overheated and blew the headgasket and seized up.

5.7l motors are pretty cheap. price out a long block under 2000 new on ebay...shop around...do not rebuild your old one.

Last edited by tech2; July 4th, 2016 at 10:13 PM.