Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

2000 Chevrolet Cheyenne 5.7 vortec power loss

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2019, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevrolet Cheyenne 5.7 vortec power loss

So I have a 2000 Cheyenne with the 5.7. Just like a Silverado but it’s the Mexican version and it has a 5.7 instead of the 5.3. Today I got stuck on the side of the road because the ignition module decided to go out on me. So I’m around checking some fuses and realize that the injectors fuse was also blown. I didn’t have a 15a fuse so I temporarily put a 25 one in there. I towed the truck over to a friends shop and he let me get a used module and I turned the truck on, let it run for a couple seconds. We tightened the sensor on and then I changed the fuse to a 15a again. So I go to test drive the truck, and for some reason it felt as I was driving a v6 with bad spark plugs and -25° on the timing. I floored the pedal to make sure it was running fine and the truck doesn’t go past 4K rpms and doesn’t shift up either. The truck used to perfectly also. Whenever I floor it, wether I’m at a complete stop or going 30mph, the truck goes into overdrive but the rpms will go up far too slow. The fuel pump did give me some problems a while back, but I just smacked under the gas tank and it hasn’t given me problems since. Whenever I’m parked the truck will get the Rpms up fairly quick but I just see it stalling in a way once I romp on the pedal. Any ideas as to what it may be? The truck idles perfectly also.
Old July 16th, 2019, 3:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Armenta
So I have a 2000 Cheyenne with the 5.7. Just like a Silverado but it’s the Mexican version and it has a 5.7 instead of the 5.3. Today I got stuck on the side of the road because the ignition module decided to go out on me. So I’m around checking some fuses and realize that the injectors fuse was also blown. I didn’t have a 15a fuse so I temporarily put a 25 one in there. I towed the truck over to a friends shop and he let me get a used module and I turned the truck on, let it run for a couple seconds. We tightened the sensor on and then I changed the fuse to a 15a again. So I go to test drive the truck, and for some reason it felt as I was driving a v6 with bad spark plugs and -25° on the timing. I floored the pedal to make sure it was running fine and the truck doesn’t go past 4K rpms and doesn’t shift up either. The truck used to perfectly also. Whenever I floor it, wether I’m at a complete stop or going 30mph, the truck goes into overdrive but the rpms will go up far too slow. The fuel pump did give me some problems a while back, but I just smacked under the gas tank and it hasn’t given me problems since. Whenever I’m parked the truck will get the Rpms up fairly quick but I just see it stalling in a way once I romp on the pedal. Any ideas as to what it may be? The truck idles perfectly also.
Wrong ECM.

Cheyanne was not always a border jumper either. Used to be a downgraded basic Silverado. Cruze is garbage as it's made in Mejico too.
Old July 17th, 2019, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

How is it the wrong ECM if it hasn’t been tampered with?
Old July 17th, 2019, 11:10 PM
CF Monarch

How is it the wrong ECM if it hasn’t been tampered with?
Tampered, defective ECM, Must be exact fit for vehicle, likely Silverado. Crap made in MX is not made very well.
Old July 17th, 2019, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

I’m pretty positive the ecm is fine. I was just kind of wondering if I could still have a defective ignition control module
Old July 20th, 2019, 12:42 PM
CF Monarch

I’m pretty positive the ecm is fine. I was just kind of wondering if I could still have a defective ignition control module
You could pull one at a junk yard or buy new if you think its the ICM..