Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

58 Bel Air Chassis Swap with 96 Impala

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2006, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58 Bel Air Chassis Swap with 96 Impala

Ok guys, in the past couple weeks I have been thinking about what I could do to make my 58 4 door handle better and have the ability to autocross and roadrace along with being a good drag car and street car as well. My roommate has a highly modded 96 Impala SS that is deep in the 12s N/A on the stock short block and outruns and outhandles vettes and vipers on the autocross and roadcourses. I have measured both cars and the wheelbase is only 1 inch longer on the bel air with track width being within 1/2 an inch. My goal would be to put a 96 Impala chassis underneath my 58. But there would be a few things that I would do first, like adding NASCAR-Style weight jacks on all 4 corners so I can change the setup of the car quickly and easily without having to take it all apart. I just want to see what everyones opinion would be with this Idea
Old August 20th, 2007, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 58 Bel Air Chassis Swap with 96 Impala

ORIGINAL: rk77

My roommate has a highly modded 96 Impala SS that is deep in the 12s N/A on the stock short block and outruns and outhandles vettes and vipers on the autocross and roadcourses.
Thats why the Police loved them so much. Like having a Corvette without having to fall into and climb out of the drivers seat.

I guess the person that first posted this is long gone. I found this post internet searching on 58 info. I have a 95 Impala SS rolling chassis that I have finished resto on. My father had a 58 Bel Air 2 door and I've always wanted to find one to restore for him someday. I just found a 58 cheap that needs full resto. I haven't done the resto on the Impala body yet and if it is possible to alter a 58 2 door body to fit on a 95 Impala frame then I'd like to try it.

Anyone know more about this?