Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Car Dies after alternator replaced 98 CHEV Z24

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2006, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Dies after alternator replaced 98 CHEV Z24

Heres the situo,

I have installed strobe lights on my 98 chevy z24 and days after i had been getting problems in which the engine,battery,abs etc lights would flash and eventually the car would shut off. When trying to start it back up the battery is drained, so i swapped a known good battery the power off that battery lasted about 5 mins but eventually the car would die again. So i called a machanic and they had told me its the alternator, i bought an alternator installed it. I then re-installed my strobes and within 3 days im getting the same issue. A few ppl think theres a ground, other ppl right off the bat say its the alternator however, i just replaced the alternator and i dont think strobes would cause 2 alternator's to go that quick. This problem has thrown me in a loop and if anyone has any suggestions or has seen this problem before, help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Car Dies after alternator replaced 98 CHEV Z24

how did you hook up the strobes? that may be the prob.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

the first time i hooked the ground to the side of an ac adpater that I was using for my satelite radio and the power to the end of the adapter. Kinda half a$$ but I just wanted to see what it looked like. The second time I set it up directly to the battery.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 6:19 PM
CF Senior Member

try starting the car then take off the pos. wire on the batt. if the car stays running then your alt. is good if it stop running then the alt is shot. this rule goes for most cars should be the same on yours. if theres a bad wire sucking power from the battery then it causes the alt. to over charce and makes it work to hard and it may fry it pretty fast.
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Are the strobe lites meant for a 12 volt system?? How much juice do they pull. You maybe over amping the Alt. and blowing the regulator in it. Also one last thing Use a volt meter to check the alt. DO NOT pull the Pos cable. the spark that jumps between the cable and battery post when you pull it may very well blow the ALT. I know I've done it before.