Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

external oil pump priming

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2015, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external oil pump priming

I have a 2004 chevy Optra (suzuki forenza-USA) with 85k miles on so figured its still worth to put money into it... the oil light would flicker once in a while when engine is warmed up and at idle plus the head gasket was leaking coolant.. I wanted to do it all in one shot - new gasket set, timing belt, tensioner, water pump and the oil pump... once I removed the timing back cover, I seen that the oil pump gasket was blown and sticking out and everything on that side covered with oil... the new pump that I got was the wrong one - everything bolted the same but the pickup tube was different place.. I took the chance assuming it was only the gasket causing low oil pressure so I put the new gasket and reused the old pump since no local shops had one and I didnt wanna wait to order new pump... so, now its all put back, I drove around the block and low oil came on.. steady on... the oil filter did have oil it it so it must have primed a bit.. I guessing there was an air bubble and lost prime???
I tried a mechanical oil pressure and it doesnt even budge, removed the filter and cranked it without plugs and nothing comes out... I even tried placing a tube with a fitting in the sensor hole and tried suking oil out but only air (assuming from the top).. Im still pretty sure its only priming issue..
anyone with ideas? suggestions??
Old December 6th, 2015, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

I still want to connect a manual transfer pump to the sensor hole and see if I can force some oil in it...
I just dont wanna strip it down to get take it off again
Old December 7th, 2015, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

no comments... no suggestions??
well.. I ordered another new pump and try that this weekend