Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Hopping up 292

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2021, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hopping up 292

i have a '70 c20 suburban with a 292 that i'd like to give a little more oomph. i've got a holley 4bbl, headers, HEI, and at some point in the future a 5 speed. what i'd like to know is what is involved in adding these things to my rig. as of right now, i'd just like to get it to where i have all the upgraded parts on and running. exhaust and boring things like that can come later. it's a 3492 holley (from a ford v8 i believe?) on an offenhauser intake, and an unkown brand HEI dizzy. what is required to go from my stock monojet to the holley, and how can i clean up the holley? it's got some rust on the flaps, and the whole body could use a good cleaning. it could also probably use a refreshing, as it's been sitting a while. i've not been able to find any parts or information for this carb, though, so maybe yall can help with that? don't have any pictures right now, sorry. also my first post, and the first time i've ever dealt with performance parts. TIA. sorry if this is in the wrong area.
Old September 8th, 2021, 3:41 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVaughan
i have a '70 c20 suburban with a 292 that i'd like to give a little more oomph. i've got a holley 4bbl, headers, HEI, and at some point in the future a 5 speed. what i'd like to know is what is involved in adding these things to my rig. as of right now, i'd just like to get it to where i have all the upgraded parts on and running. exhaust and boring things like that can come later. it's a 3492 holley (from a ford v8 i believe?) on an offenhauser intake, and an unkown brand HEI dizzy. what is required to go from my stock monojet to the holley, and how can i clean up the holley? it's got some rust on the flaps, and the whole body could use a good cleaning. it could also probably use a refreshing, as it's been sitting a while. i've not been able to find any parts or information for this carb, though, so maybe yall can help with that? don't have any pictures right now, sorry. also my first post, and the first time i've ever dealt with performance parts. TIA. sorry if this is in the wrong area.
I'd drop a 350 in there. an I-6 is only going to do so much even at 292 cuic inches.
Old September 9th, 2021, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

thing is, i'm not looking for anything too crazy, just got a good deal on some 292 parts. also, i'd ave to buy a 350, as opposed to just using what i already have. v8's are cool, but they're the go to option. why not do something a little different?
Old September 9th, 2021, 7:26 PM
CF Monarch

thing is, i'm not looking for anything too crazy, just got a good deal on some 292 parts. also, i'd ave to buy a 350, as opposed to just using what i already have. v8's are cool, but they're the go to option. why not do something a little different?
V8 motors are just plain faster then an Inline six. Now if you wanted a motor to last extremely long, then the inherently balanced I-6 is the way to go. Almost all semi-truck engines have an I-6 turbo-powered diesel motor under the hood due to that. Back in the 60-70-80's General Motors used a 2-stroke V8 diesel motor in 318 cubic inches. In a cab-over rig, the noise was deafening.

Those things were as loud as hell, and most took a gallon or two per DAY, of motor oil as they burned up lots of oil and leaks around the motor were commonplace, but they were dirt cheap to buy, so many outfits did just that.

The new Series.60 Detroit Diesel is nothing like the V-8 "Screaming Jimmies" of old, being I-6 motor and four-stroke engines. They are quite nicely made diesel engines, in fact, having taken over from Caterpillar truck diesel motors, whom decided the emission controls were just too much and quit making semi-truck engines.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 9th, 2021 at 7:37 PM.
Old September 10th, 2021, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

yeah, those 2 stroke detroits are quite the motors. they actually made them in configurations from 1 cylinder all the way up to 24 cylinders (2 v12 blocks mated) and are apparently tough as nails and torquey as all get out. i had a dream of putting a 3 cylinder detroit in a little old jeep, but that was just stupid...

anyway, i've got the stock manifolds most the way off (did i mention i hate exhaust bolts?) and plan to get the rest done this aftrernoon. on the HEI, does it require adjusting, or does it just go in? probably 2 positions 180 apart, right?
Old September 11th, 2021, 1:47 AM
CF Monarch

yeah, those 2 stroke detroits are quite the motors. they actually made them in configurations from 1 cylinder all the way up to 24 cylinders (2 v12 blocks mated) and are apparently tough as nails and torquey as all get out. i had a dream of putting a 3 cylinder detroit in a little old jeep, but that was just stupid...

anyway, i've got the stock manifolds most the way off (did i mention i hate exhaust bolts?) and plan to get the rest done this aftrernoon. on the HEI, does it require adjusting, or does it just go in? probably 2 positions 180 apart, right?
Yes, that is correct with the HEI distributor.

Are you installing headers on your Chevy?

Yeah, I hate exhaust bolts too. Put some Neversieze on the new ones.

Here is a breakdown of the Holley that might help:

https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=R3492

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 11th, 2021 at 1:55 AM.
Old September 12th, 2021, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

yes, i am installing headers. the stuff's in now, but waiting for a fuel fitting. thanks for that resource.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (September 13th, 2021)