Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

need help

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2006, 2:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

My 1988 celebrity runs alright till it gets put in gear then it will sputter out and die. I have replaced a couple of relays thinking that might be the problem but it didn't change anything. The car started doing it all at once. i have been over the motor in that car like a fine toothed comb and can't find a reason for it.

serious help appriciated
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: need help

Does the problem occur all the time, at all temperatues?

Automatic Xmsn?

What about reverse?

More info about symptoms might help.

Dick
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

I got it figured out. My friend is a certified mechanic drove it and it is the tranny starting to let go. But thanks for the interest in helping me.
Old December 7th, 2006, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Your "certified" friend is wasting your money.

If the car dies IMMEDIATELY when put in gear, like if it was a stick and you let out the clutch fast without touching the gas, then your torque converter clutch solenoid is stuck. If you can get the car moving enough for the converter to disengage, then slow down and stop and it doesn't immediately stall, then you're in luck. Shut it off, go under the hood, and look at the top of the transmission case. There will be a connector plugged into the transmission. Unplug it. Then drive normally but know you'll get worse mileage and have a hotter transmission because of it. Save your money and have the solenoid changed when you can.

If you can't get the thing to move without it locking up, you'll have the have the solenoid replaced before it can be driven. Save up $300-$400, call a transmission shop and tell them you need the TCC solenoid replaced. Or do it yourself, you don't have to pull the transmission to replace it. Cheap part, takes a couple hours to do, but worth it.