Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Need steering column expertise

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2019, 6:51 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need steering column expertise

This should be an easy fix but maybe GM is making me go back to school. I have two issues with the column.

The truck is a 1981 C-10, automatic, with an even older replacement non-tilt steering column.

1. Earlier this year I had the steering wheel off to replace the turn-signal switch. At that time I noticed the rod that is supposed to engage the lock-plate was not extending when I would turn the key off. I couldn't figure out how to get the push rod from the lock mechanism to seat into the block that extends the steering wheel lock-rod. I can see the key-geared rod move back and forth when I turn the key, but IDK what I am overlooking. How is the pusher rod supposed to be secured to the block?

2. I had the wheel off again today to try to fix a lock-cylinder that won't reverse to turn on the accessory position for the radio. It was binding, but even though now it is lubricated, and seems to work freely, I am not getting any radio operation. The radio works fine on the run position. Maybe that is an electrical switch adjustment . . .

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited by Kazoocruiser; January 26th, 2019 at 7:17 PM. Reason: double post / want to delete, but cannot find
Old January 27th, 2019, 5:45 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nvrmind, turned out the actuator (steering wheel lock) rod was not engaging a gear rack correctly that the lock cylinder rotates. It was off a tooth. Now the steering wheel doesn't move when I key-off and engage " lock."

Had to take the electrical part of the ignition switch off, to get the rod that drives it so I could access the back of the collar. Once I had everything back together, I was able to find a place in the adjustment which allows the radio to work in the accessory position, and also start the truck when the key is rotated the other way.