Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Please help I'm lost now :(

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help I'm lost now :(

Ok where to start.........................................

A few days ago I got into my 1999 Chevy prism and headed off to the store and a few other places..........everything was fine until about 5 hours later when I went out to start my car again it would not start Everytime I turn the key all I get is one click and some humming. So I popped the hood to check all the connections.................I checked the battery connections, plugs,, Relay and all other wires as well and all are fine as far as I can see. After I could not see any wire issues I decided to check the connection on the starter, so I took the starter completely out and brought it to Advance Auto to have it tested.............according them all is good. So I went back home put the starter back in and wouldnt you know it..............the damn thing started right up................................................ ...........good its over...right..............I wish.

All was running well for about a day or so before it was the exact same stupid problem.........I turn the key and all I get is CLICK and hummmm but nothing else, I can hear a connection to the Relay and it sounds like the plunger is shooting out from the starter, but its not spinning. So this time I figured I would replace the battery and Spark plugs because it was about time for new ones, but to my dismay that did not fix the problem.

The other day when I went to the store again all was fine, then after a few hours of sitting the same issues continued, but this time I tapped the starter with a hammer and it started up. Later that day it did the samething so I tapped the starter with a hammer again, but this time it did not work.

Now on to today, I went to my sisters house without a problem, but after the car sat for a few hours it would not start yet again, but this time I discovered something odd. THe car had been sitting for about 4 hours and the engine was cold, but after trying to start the car a few times the Starter was hot to the touch, but the engine remained cold.

So now I have a brand new battery with super clean connections and new plugs but that has not fixed the problem, so now I'm thinking it is still the Starter or maybe even the FlexPlate, but I'm not sure. I went to Autozone today and bought a Starter and I'm going to put it in, but before I do I want to see what everyone else thinks the problem might be, I really dont want to be out of $226 if the Starter is not the issue. Also does anyone know where I can get a Flexplate for this car and how to replace it?

Old September 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Please help I'm lost now :(

Sounds like the starter to me. Thats what I would replace and also check the battery. You could probably return the starter to AZ if it turns out to be something else. Good Luck
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please help I'm lost now :(

ORIGINAL: engine2

Sounds like the starter to me. Thats what I would replace and also check the battery. You could probably return the starter to AZ if it turns out to be something else. Good Luck
Yeah I'm thinking starter as well, I just went out and tested the line to the starter and I'm getting a reading of 12.4V and to my unerstanding any reading above 12.1V means the line is good and it is not an electrical issue. The dude at Az made it clear that starters are none refundable I have a 2 day old Red Top in the car.