Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Starting Issues and where to start with troubleshooting

Old October 23rd, 2018, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issues and where to start with troubleshooting

I have an 89 6.2 Chevy G30 (Short Bus converted to an RV) with about 120K on it and recently it has decided to not crank. The engine spins and spins but never actually starts or even sputters. I took it on a 3,000 mile trip without any issues and after parking it at the house for about 2 weeks it started, ran for 30 seconds and died. My thought is fuel pump, fuse or relay. Thoughts? At this point I'm not even sure where to locate the relay or the fuse for the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note that might help - I filled the tank FULL of diesel before parking it back at the house so I would be ready for the next trip.
Old October 24th, 2018, 10:13 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So,lift pump not running?test for power to it,at pump with it disconnected
Old October 24th, 2018, 10:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Inside the fuse panel cover there is a diagram of all the fuses and relays located inside that box.
Old October 24th, 2018, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is in no way meant to degrade you or insult your intelligence. However I must say this..... You stated that you filled the tank and then it ran for about 30 seconds and died. Now to me that sounds like the right amount of time for it to run until it ingested some contaminated fuel or the wrong fuel. (Gasoline by mistake?)
Old October 24th, 2018, 12:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Possible, but I was thinking,the lift pump died on last run,they will run without it,some have anyway,depends on the strength of injector pump,so for the test,can't remember,test for power to lift pump after wts light goes out?
Old October 24th, 2018, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by geo1
So,lift pump not running?test for power to it,at pump with it disconnected
So just to make sure I understand here, the lift pump is the one inside the tank correct? So just pull the positive wire and test with a test light to make sure I have power coming through the relay?
Old October 24th, 2018, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Inside the fuse panel cover there is a diagram of all the fuses and relays located inside that box.
I'm not sure if there is another fuse panel other than the one under the dash but I don't have a cover on mine. I've got about 8 fuses and a wide long rectangular relay. Is that the fuse pump relay?
Old October 24th, 2018, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Oldcat
This is in no way meant to degrade you or insult your intelligence. However I must say this..... You stated that you filled the tank and then it ran for about 30 seconds and died. Now to me that sounds like the right amount of time for it to run until it ingested some contaminated fuel or the wrong fuel. (Gasoline by mistake?)
I totally agree but I siphoned some fuel out of the tank it is definitely diesel. It could be contaminated diesel although this happened one other time (a few months back) and when I filled it back up (about 1/5 of a tank) I'm sure it was diesel. How do I know if it's just contaminated? Should I go the electrical troubleshooting route and revisit if that doesn't go anywhere?
Old October 24th, 2018, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

What is the WTS? Is there an in-line pump in addition to the lift pump and the injector pump?
Old October 24th, 2018, 1:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Lift pump on frame rail,no?

Search this Thread