S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

02 S10 Automatic Shifting Hard

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2019, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 S10 Automatic Shifting Hard

Hi, I have a 2002 S10 with the bulletproof 4.3 and the not so bulletproof 4L60E. I bought it a few months ago and i noticed it shifts from 1-2 hard. Scanned it, and it has a code for the PC Solenoid. Checked the datastream and the solenoid is getting 0 amperage. Was just gonna replace it, but didn't know if anyone else has had this issue. I also attached the data I collected when it shifts hard. Mostly need someone who's experienced with trannys that can tell me if it's good or bad. Considering I have no reference data, i'm not sure if these are good or bad numbers. Let me know what you think, inspections due in 2 weeks lol.
Old July 11th, 2019, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

i have a 90 model s10 4.3 and it shifts hard going from first to second, but it only does that cold, after about 5 miles it doesnt do it any more.
Old July 12th, 2019, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by charlie2sods
i have a 90 model s10 4.3 and it shifts hard going from first to second, but it only does that cold, after about 5 miles it doesnt do it any more.
Same with me. Fixed it BTW, i dropped the pan. PC solenoid wires were shorted to each other because the previous owner repaired the broken wire with two UNINSULATED spade connectors and electrical taped them. Something tells me he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Recut the wires, installed insulated spade connectors and heat shrink, shifts like a dream. You should drop the pan and check wiring. easiest way for me was checking connector on PC solenoid for continuity. Should have 0.
Old July 12th, 2019, 9:05 PM
CF Junior Member

i dropped the pan and changed the filter but i didnt realize there were any wires there to look at, where are the located if you dont mind me asking, and thanks
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by charlie2sods
i dropped the pan and changed the filter but i didnt realize there were any wires there to look at, where are the located if you dont mind me asking, and thanks
Drop the filter, there's a little cylinder thing at i believe the driver side rear of the tranny, 3 bolts, and then you have full access to the PCS.
Old July 14th, 2019, 12:42 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks bud for the help