S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1982 S10 Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2017, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 S10 Electrical Issues

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I just got a 1982 s10 sport v6 4 speed. The guy that I got it from said all the electrical works. Well I can't get my wipers or sprayer, interior lights and dash lights to work. I checked all of the fuses and they are all good. I tested the washer pump with two wires from the battery and it works. I am at wits end. I am not too worried about the inside lights as much as the wipers. Also at first my blower motor for the a.c. didn't work. Now it does. Can someone help me get to the bottom of this. I figured it has to be one thing to make the cluster lights, inside lights and wipers work. I just don't know what it is. thanks.
Old August 4th, 2017, 8:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I am not sure at all about the S10. I would make an assumption there is an electrical connector at the firewall, unhook , and using contact or electrical cleaner, clean it.
Old August 4th, 2017, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I am not sure at all about the S10. I would make an assumption there is an electrical connector at the firewall, unhook , and using contact or electrical cleaner, clean it.
I have already tried that bud. thanks though
Old August 4th, 2017, 4:04 PM
CF Monarch

Thinking the only common thing with wiper, dash lights ect. is ignition switch.
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:56 AM
CF Beginner

Ok how would I go by getting to the ignition switch. I already replaced the ignition lock cylinder. How would I go by getting to the ignition switch.
Old August 5th, 2017, 7:14 AM
CF Monarch

I'm sure it is going to be on the column, again I am not well versed with the S10, but, should be a rod from the cylinder to the switch. When you move the key to whatever position, start, on the cylinder moves a rod that attaches to the switch.
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I'm sure it is going to be on the column, again I am not well versed with the S10.
A picture can help.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 S10 Electrical Issues-screen-shot-2017-08-05-1.12.08-pm.png  
Old August 5th, 2017, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

I was also told it is possible to be the headlight switch or the combo switch. What are the possibilities.
Old August 5th, 2017, 2:12 PM
CF Monarch

For the no lights, yes. The wiper motor has to have the ignition switch on.
Old August 8th, 2017, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

still haven't figured out what it could be. I was wondering about the delay switch. Someone told me it is possible that it has a short in it preventing other systems from working. The problem that I am having is I can't find a delay switch for it anywhere. I tried to see if it plugs in and I say where it is soldered to the board. Is it possible for it to be causing all this trouble. I saw the bulb in it when I took it from the dashboard and the bulb is very dim. Now when I ran a jumper wire from the bulb hot wire to another part of the fuse panel the bulb went bright when I disconnected it it went dim again. I wonder if the delay switch for the wipers is the culprit.