S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1989 s10 runs but cuts off at light

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2015, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 s10 runs but cuts off at light

This is my first time posting on a forum so bare with me. I have a 89 S10 4.3L automatic, ran great until recently. I was driving and out of nowhere she shut down. During fixing this issue I tore the front end down to check the timing as recommended by a shade tree mechanic. Timing is perfect so I put everything back together and replaced the distributor (this included the cap and button). I learned when timing is top dead center the distributor should be on cylinder 4 NOT 1. Got it to crank and same problem. Would run but like hell and not driveable. Come to the conclusion it was a fuel issue so I rebuilt the throttle body, and replaced the fuel filter just to find out that I was only getting 5 psi from the fuel pump therefore I replaced the pump and she runs. NOW I have a idle issue, at stop lights it will run fine then bog down a couple of times and cut off. I replaced plugs, wires, MAP sensor, and Trottle control position sensor. Also checked for vacuum leaks (none found). This did not fix it so I bumped up idle on throttle body. Now it will not cut off when it bogs down at the light but the Hugh idle is getting on my nerves and I'm sure it's not the fix. This is my only vehicle and I use it daily to work out of. I am open to pointers on what to check into next because I am lost at this point.
Old October 20th, 2015, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone?
Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

not sure where you got #4 on the distributor.. i did a intake gasket couple days ago and had a hell of the time with the distributor.. crank needs to be at 0 deg and the distribtor needs to be at either 6 (for V6) or 8 (V8). it needs to be almost perfect. i think if your pump is off by more than 2 degrees it will not start and if your within the rage it will run but run like ****. try taking the distributor cap off, put a screw driver inside (match the length of the shaft with a tape or someting on the flat head thats wahat i did ) put it inside and see if you can adjust the pump just so slightly. start her up and see if she runs better. i noticed my 1st try she ran with 700-800 rpm.. adjusted the timing so now she runs at 600rpm at idle steady and good.