S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1996 S10 Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2017, 6:37 PM
NMB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 S10 Fuel pump issues

1996 S10 4.3 4wd automatic.Fuel pump doesn't seem to be getting power. No whine when key is first turned on. Relay, if I'm checking the correct one, has 12 volts when key is in on position.

The relays in the glove compartment. However one diagram indicates the relay closest to the driver as the fuel pump relay, but a second diagram points to the middle one.
Old December 19th, 2017, 8:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

As long as the relays have the same numbers on them you can swap them around to see if that makes any differences. Also check the fuses. The fuel pump might be getting power but not making a whining sound because it is bad.
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:33 AM
NMB
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
As long as the relays have the same numbers on them you can swap them around to see if that makes any differences. Also check the fuses. The fuel pump might be getting power but not making a whining sound because it is bad.
They have the same numbers and I have swapped them around. The fuel pump is new. I can make the pump run by using a couple of wires to the battery. So now I'm a little lost, okay a whole lot lost.
Old December 20th, 2017, 3:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You didn't say if you checked the fuses. Check the wiring to the fuel pump to see if there is a break in any of the wires.
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the pump fuse ? I have a 99 blazer and the fuse is under the hood on the drivers side inside a black box ! check it and if it won't start it might be the fuel regulator on the fuel rail !
Old January 8th, 2018, 2:58 PM
NMB
CF Beginner

Default Fuel Pump Update.

Originally Posted by NMB
They have the same numbers and I have swapped them around. The fuel pump is new. I can make the pump run by using a couple of wires to the battery. So now I'm a little lost, okay a whole lot lost.
An update for those who offered help with this issue.

I found the problem. It turns out that the oil pressure switch failed. After replacing it the fuel pump ran.

I have gotten the truck to run.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Mark