S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1999 blazer cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get your problem resolved? is this a multiport FI? could be a bad injector or two. had this problem on a chev car one time drive fine, the shut it off and it would take an hour to restart. couple bad injectors.
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer LT. I just recently replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one as well as a new battery. It worked fine for the first few days, but for a couple weeks now when I go to start it, the ignition turns over but doesn't seem to catch on anything. Eventually, after at least ten attempts, I can get it to start, and it runs fine afterward. This time, I couldn't get her to start. I haven't checked or tried anything because I'm not too car savvy and don't know where to begin. I would prefer to take care of this myself, seeing that I've changed an alternator before, I feel I'm fully capable. Just, please, explain in the simplest terms or direct me to specific instructions.
Old November 27th, 2014, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

The crank sensor located on the bottom near the crank pulley/harmonic balancer will prevent an S-10 from starting (4.3l). That or the magnetic pick up under the cap and button. Also the coil. I listed these in the most probable order. Note: don't trust any other cap and button other than the dealer. GM holds the manufacturing rights to how they are made, so all others are inferior and cost too much.
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Spider injector

Mine was doing same thing come to find out the #1 injector on spider gear was bad. Changed and cranks every time
Old December 3rd, 2014, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default What was the problem. I'm having the same problem

I really need to know.
Originally Posted by rroyse
Hi, my blazer has intermittant problems where it won't start. The last time I had it in the shop the guy said he could not get any codes to come out on his tester and that the fuel pump was fine (it was fairly new anyway). Then all of a sudden it started and he gave up. Today I got in it and it would not start. Cranks etc. just won't catch. It is getting fuel, spark etc.
I was thinking the cam sensor but shouldn't that give a code? How about the crankshaft sensor?

This has happened a couple times in the last month. Any ideas? My boss is not happy when I have to call in and am late getting a rental car. Darn thing runs like a champ otherwise.

Rick
Old December 8th, 2014, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Two main Problems

In my experience one of two things happens to keep the S-10 from starting; the crank sensor (I have to go through 2 or 3 new ones before getting one that works) and the fuel pump (it can test good, but still be a problem off and on)
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default my 99 chevy blazer wont start

im not sure if it is cause of the security or the shift linkage or what im just confused need help.
Old February 21st, 2015, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

There is one more thing, but it is normally when the humidity is high; the distributor itself has a screen a little ways down that collects water and prevents ignition. There is an aftermarket fix that also rectifies the plastic base plate of the distributor as well; the distributor itself. Car Quest sells them at a very reasonable price, everyone else seems to think it is made of gold.
Old March 24th, 2016, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

There is a video on YouTube where a guy is using a spark checker, and when he has his assistant crank the car over, no spark - but when the guy let's up on the starter, one spark before the engine stops turning - it turns out, the ignition switch was bad, and it would supply power to the coil in the "run" position but not the "start" position.

It was not clear to me from the video if this problem could be intermittent - but it's something that is likely to throw you - you check for power at the coil when the ignition is on - you get it - you don't think the coil can possibly be the problem, after all, when it runs it runs fine - so If he had not used the spark checker and cranked it over, he would not have found it.

It's on YouTube, the guy calls himself South Main or something like that
Old March 30th, 2016, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

fuel pressure regultor

Quick Reply: 1999 blazer cranks but won't start