S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2001 Chevy Blazer LT OBD II

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2011, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevy Blazer LT OBD II

I was wondering if anyone knows if all scanners will read J1850 VPW protocol? I have pins 2,4,5 and 16 and no 10. Autozone used their scanner and they said that "my OBD II" wasn't connecting with their scanner. A friend used a ProScan and software (the software on the computer was dated 2006 not updated) and it got the same thing. There is power to the module. I'm hesitant in investing in a scanner if I can't determine whether my OBD II is functional or defective or if it's the PCM. Any advice on testing if the module is okay?

Thanks..
Old January 10th, 2011, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Here is a small copy of the manual on the PCM. Hope this helps

Use of Circuit Testing Tools
Do not use a test lamp in order to diagnose the powertrain electrical systems unless specifically instructed by the diagnostic procedures. Use the J 35616-A Connector Test Adapter Kit whenever the diagnostic procedures call for probing any of the connectors.
Control Module Service Precautions
The control module is designed to withstand the normal current draws that are associated with the vehicle operations. Avoid overloading any circuit. When testing for opens or shorts, do not ground any of the control module circuits unless instructed. When testing for opens or shorts, do not apply voltage to any of the control module circuits unless instructed. Only test these circuits with DMM J 39200 , while the control module connectors remain connected to the control module.
Old January 10th, 2011, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Okay, I was using a voltmeter to test if there was power...no test light. The first time last week indicated no power, this week it is registering power. I have been reading a lot about the OBD II and came down to the specifics of the protocol used. What gets me is the different connectors in the 2001 blazer, and it being referenced "computer protocol called Controller Area Network (CAN) with the OBD2 and if your vehicle is CAN OBD 2 the simple OBD2 code reader will not work ".. I'm thinking autozone may be low end and not able to read my OBD II and my friends is out of date software?

Thanks