S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2002 Blazer 4.3 Engine

Old February 23rd, 2018, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Blazer 4.3 Engine

Car shuts off while driving. I can put in neutral and it starts back up and if I feel the engine speed fluctuating I can pump or pat the gas several times and it runs normally for a while but cuts off again. It seems to happen when the tank is somewhere around 1/8 full.

Any ideas?
Old February 24th, 2018, 8:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

If it only happens when the tank is 1/8 or less full, then keep more gas in it. It is not a good idea to run the tank that low anyway as it will shorten the life of the fuel pump.
Old February 26th, 2018, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
If it only happens when the tank is 1/8 or less full, then keep more gas in it. It is not a good idea to run the tank that low anyway as it will shorten the life of the fuel pump.
Thanks oldchevy. But, my fear is that there must be something wrong other than low fuel level. This is my wifes' Blazer and she is terrible about waiting until the low fuel light comes on before she stops for fuel. I have now told her to not let it get below 1/4 and will see if happens again. It has done this three times now over the last year or so and she has run it many, many times with the low fuel light on. If it happens again I will have the mechanic who does work on my vehicles check fuel pressure, etc. It could be that this is a symptom that the fuel pump is failing.

Search this Thread