S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

4.3L Vortec S10 2004 with new code P0341 Camshaft sensor related code

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2023, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3L Vortec S10 2004 with new code P0341 Camshaft sensor related code

I've recently been through a lot with this truck chasing gremlins. The truck shudders bad at idle, less so at speed though, but is WAY down on power. I've always felt it was bad on power since I got in January. Its also taking longer to start.

It had some lean bank codes but I addressed all that and now those codes aren't coming back. Things I've recently done:

Plugs and wires
Fuel pressure regulator
Upper and lower intake gaskets
Valve cover gaskets
Distributor, rotor, cap
O2 sensor on bank 1 side upstream (can't quite recall fully)

I noticed during the intake gasket job that the rotor pointing to the #6 mark didnt match up with the crankshaft/balancer TDC marks on the engine. Now that I'm getting a cam shaft position sensor code, isn't this the obvious place to check? IDK why it would suddenly just be out of position like that. Some info online suggests maybe timing chain is stretched and worn, or jumped teeth etc.

Since the new distributor i got came with a brand new cam sensor pre-installed, its probably not a bad sensor but instead messed up timing chain or jumped teeth yes?

How do I begin, this is a little new territory for me. I have trouble fully understanding timing issues. Was previously getting misfire codes P0300-0301 (something like that) on this truck as well, but those seem to be gone for now.

This video is sort of where I got the ideas I'm saying here.

Last edited by WhoCaresAboutMyProblems; September 25th, 2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old September 25th, 2023, 11:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

You may have a bad chain, and if you change it use a Cloyes Timing Chain set They are rock solid. My guess is you have a bad catalytic converter, plugging up the exhaust. Stock GM chains are good, but not if the oil was not changed on time. Cloyes will take a beating and last longer.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 25th, 2023 at 11:29 PM.
Old September 26th, 2023, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
You may have a bad chain, and if you change it use a Cloyes Timing Chain set They are rock solid. My guess is you have a bad catalytic converter, plugging up the exhaust. Stock GM chains are good, but not if the oil was not changed on time. Cloyes will take a beating and last longer.
Cat is new. Truck was stolen in April and cat and ignition and body work were done. Truck ran fine for a couple months after that and then these problems arose.
Old September 27th, 2023, 1:50 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by WhoCaresAboutMyProblems
Cat is new. Truck was stolen in April and cat and ignition and body work were done. Truck ran fine for a couple months after that and then these problems arose.
You need to run your Chevy on a good OBD II sensor. The only way most steel timing chains jump is because of excessive wear. A Cloyes is built so strong, I've never heard of them jumping.
Old September 27th, 2023, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
You need to run your Chevy on a good OBD II sensor. The only way most steel timing chains jump is because of excessive wear. A Cloyes is built so strong, I've never heard of them jumping.
My brother has a $500 dollar scanner is that what you mean? Live data? OK what live data is needed?

I just have a basic code reader. Also its a stock GM chain AFAIK, I doubt the previous owner ever messed with it so its not Cloyes.
Old September 30th, 2023, 2:45 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by WhoCaresAboutMyProblems
My brother has a $500 dollar scanner is that what you mean? Live data? OK what live data is needed?

I just have a basic code reader. Also its a stock GM chain AFAIK, I doubt the previous owner ever messed with it so its not Cloyes.
Yes my OBD II Scanner is a top-of-the-line Innova. like I said, if you feel your timing chain jumped, the Cloyes brand is the best there is and it will never jump time, They are built like a brick-**** house.