S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

96' Blazer Overheating

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' Blazer Overheating

My 1996 Chevrolet Blazer recently overheated. The coolent was low and this was the issue. I put more coolent in and that seemed to fix it. I checked and there isn't any leaks. At first the motor sputtered when I pulled off the road and immediately shut it off. The truck had some issues starting back up at first but it eventually stayed started and i drove it back home. After setting for a few days the truck sputters going out of first (it is a manual) and is fine after that. The power of the truck has dropped because once I come out of first it hesitates and feels like there is a loss in power. It also idles rough. It does run and has not shut off on me. I plan on replacing the thermostat but that would not explain why it is running rough. I am not sure if i damaged my motor. I don't see how because of something bad would have happened it wouldn't have waited a few days. Any suggestions to why? Thanks.
Old April 4th, 2007, 3:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 96' Blazer Overheating

Im a machinist not a professional machanic but I really think you have a blown head gasket or even a cracked block. If you have a check engine light blinking when it idles rough then you need to get the code badly. Do the wire trick and count the beeps or do it the easy way and get a free reading from autozone. A chiltin or a haynes manual would be a reall good idea. I wouldnt drive it unless its really important and dont freak out cause if its a head gasket that happens and is totally fixable. Your engine will run while its leaking but your ganna suck coolant into the pistons and youll likely have to flush you coolant and change it when its all said and done, your engine dies and idles rough because your drowning it in water.

If your a doit yourselfer then you can check for simptoms, pull the spark plugs and check for black plugs or coolant in the pistons. Check your oil for white foam/water (this indicates cracked block), ive seen white waxy stuff in the coolant in chevys too that may be a sign of a cracked block or a blown head but I dont know wich (I know its one or the other). Now If your ganna do this yourself and your a newbee then for god sakes get a good manual and prefferably a gearhead buddy to guide you through this. I dont know how these newer engines go but in older simpler engines I think a head gasket change would at least require valve gapping and torque paterns/pressures. I hope this helps a bit, as I said Im no expert but Ive always driven old cars before so I never paid to get my beaters fixed I just looked it up and fixed it myself.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Getting to the point to check for overheating issues..

1. Make sure radiator has no leaks
2. Check both upper and lower hoses for punctures or holes
3. Make sure thermostat housing is properly sealed with sealant
4. Change your thermostat(Who cares just change it)
5. Make sure your intake manifold is properly tighten down.
6. If you have to much fluid, it's gotta come out somehow so empty a little if to much is in.

7. Make sure you don't hear any hissing noises unless it's your turbo/super charger

That's it. Not much to a overheating issue. Overheating is all air related so it's a matter of finding what caused the issue.
Old May 10th, 2007, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

have the cat. converter checked out I had the same problem with a 94 olds bravada and it was a bad converter.
[align=left] [/align]
Old May 17th, 2007, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 1997 Blazer. It recently had a blown engine that was replaced with a new one. The head gasket was blown and it was running really rough. When the new engine was installed, it still kinda ran rough. What we found out later was that the Knock sensor was not working properly. After it was replaced it ran great. So my suggestion is to check your sensor. If you go to Autozone.com they have the instructions to test it. The sensor is only $41.00 Hope this helps.