S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

97' S10 4 wheel drive acting up... Is this dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2007, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97' S10 4 wheel drive acting up... Is this dangerous?

I have a 97' S-10 Blazer. My 4 wheel drive has been acting up intermittently for the last 8 months or so, but it went from about every 200-300 miles to everytime I drive it.

Problem:
While driving at any speed my right front axle sounds like it is trying to engage. At speed it sounds like a high pitch whine that gets much louder as the vehicle slows. When I come to a complete stop I hear "clunk" like the axle engages. The noise sounds like the axle splines are rubbing against metal. UsuallyI stop and let it "clunk" and then take off again and it doesn't happen for a while, but recently it just happens continuosly so I shift into neutral and hit the 4 high button, which stops the whining noise immediately and then shift it back to 2 high and keep driving until it happens again and then repeat the procedure. Today it happened three times in my 5 mile drive to work.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old February 10th, 2008, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 97' S10 4 wheel drive acting up... Is this dangerous?

hi

Im new to this site and just ran across your post, I am currently having the same issue with my 2001 S10 Truck
I have taken it twice to a mech, replaced actuator, shift cable and hub bearing, still happens, I have not yet been able to find
the issue, have you

Old February 18th, 2008, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 97' S10 4 wheel drive acting up... Is this dangerous?

I think I can help you with this one. I have a 1998 Blazer S-10LS auto with pushbutton 4wdthat had exactly the same symptoms. I had taken it to a couple of mechanics who couldn't find the problem, and finally got a detailed parts breakdown. On my car, there is a mechanically operated vacuum switch (part number89059420)on top of the transfer case connected to a vacuum block with three vacuum hoses that attach to different parts of the 4wd actuation system. When the 4wd drive is actuated, something in the transfer case mechanically opens or closes this switch. In my case, the switch was gummed up and completely inoperable. I replaced the switch and the problem disappeared. I was able to do it myself without removing anything, but it was a really tight fit and very difficult to get to since it sits on top of the transfer case. By your description, it sounds like you have exactly the same problem, or something very similar. Good luck.