S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

98 s10 2.2 sfi Valve Cover Bracket Removal

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2021, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 s10 2.2 sfi Valve Cover Bracket Removal

I'm trying to perform a head gasket replacement, and wondering if any of you have run into this back bracket that sits behind the intake manifold, covering the back left valve cover bolt. The first two bolts go into the valve cover, but the last one sits on the bottom of the bracket between the engine and firewall. What tool can be used to reach this? Have any of you come across this before? Haynes manual says this is only on my specific year and model (what great luck). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/U3xcOnx.jpg
Old April 11th, 2021, 3:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by s10_
I'm trying to perform a head gasket replacement, and wondering if any of you have run into this back bracket that sits behind the intake manifold, covering the back left valve cover bolt. The first two bolts go into the valve cover, but the last one sits on the bottom of the bracket between the engine and firewall. What tool can be used to reach this? Have any of you come across this before? Haynes manual says this is only on my specific year and model (what great luck). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

From what I can see it looks to be broken off. I don't see any inside threads, so to get it out of there you'll need to buy a kit that removes broken off bolts.
Old April 11th, 2021, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
From what I can see it looks to be broken off. I don't see any inside threads, so to get it out of there you'll need to buy a kit that removes broken off bolts.
Those two bolts have already been removed. The one I'm speaking about is on the back side of the bracket between the engine and firewall.
Old December 29th, 2021, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by s10_

It is a 10mm I used a ratcheting 10 mm crows foot as you see in the pic. But it does not have to come all the way out it is slotted on the bottom.