S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

99 s10 Randomly looses Ign. Power

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2022, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 s10 Randomly looses Ign. Power

Hello everyone. I have a video linked below to show the issue. My 99 2.2 5 speed is giving me a heck of an issue. it is loosing ignition power and sometimes will gain it right back and other times it will leave you on the side of the road to wait 30 seconds but then starts right back up.

So the truck stalls and the gauges flicker and all the dash lights flash. Meaning it lost and gained power. When this happens the engine dies and if you try to restart it you can hear the fuel pump is not activating. But I know its not a fuel pump because you can pull the relay or fuse for the pump (do the same for the crank sensor) and the truck just stalls with no random flip out of the gauges or lights.

The truck wasn't well maintained by the previous owner. I did all the maintenance when I got it (plugs, wires, coils, all filters) and trying to diagnose this issue I have replaced the Ignition control module (and coils) and the crank sensor. I read that the ICM was the main cause of this problem but i still have the issue. I have checked the connector and its fine. I have went up to the ecm and pulled/pushed/twisted every wire going into it with it running and have not had any luck. I have pulled on every harness to the same outcome. Today I replaced the starter cable, alternator cable, and the short cable from the battery connection to the fuse underneath the battery tray that leads to the main fuse box just because they looked pretty rough. from my reading the only other thing that would cause this issue is the lock cylinder but you can play with it all day and it wont stutter.

I have found that this acts up the most when it is severely humid out or when it rains. for example it has ran the past month with no issues until it rained yesterday and it stalled about 6 times trying to get home.

Any help or diagnosis hints would help greatly. I could use some wiring diagrams. Its just super hard to diagnose because its so rare to happen on good conditions and it only acts up for certain amounts of time. Below is the video of the issue.

Engine dies and the dash flashes like you are cycling the ignition. Hinting that it looses ignition power and gains it back.

Video of issue -

Old December 17th, 2022, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Distributor Cap

Originally Posted by Isaiah Hackrott
Hello everyone. I have a video linked below to show the issue. My 99 2.2 5 speed is giving me a heck of an issue. it is loosing ignition power and sometimes will gain it right back and other times it will leave you on the side of the road to wait 30 seconds but then starts right back up.

So the truck stalls and the gauges flicker and all the dash lights flash. Meaning it lost and gained power. When this happens the engine dies and if you try to restart it you can hear the fuel pump is not activating. But I know its not a fuel pump because you can pull the relay or fuse for the pump (do the same for the crank sensor) and the truck just stalls with no random flip out of the gauges or lights.

The truck wasn't well maintained by the previous owner. I did all the maintenance when I got it (plugs, wires, coils, all filters) and trying to diagnose this issue I have replaced the Ignition control module (and coils) and the crank sensor. I read that the ICM was the main cause of this problem but i still have the issue. I have checked the connector and its fine. I have went up to the ecm and pulled/pushed/twisted every wire going into it with it running and have not had any luck. I have pulled on every harness to the same outcome. Today I replaced the starter cable, alternator cable, and the short cable from the battery connection to the fuse underneath the battery tray that leads to the main fuse box just because they looked pretty rough. from my reading the only other thing that would cause this issue is the lock cylinder but you can play with it all day and it wont stutter.

I have found that this acts up the most when it is severely humid out or when it rains. for example it has ran the past month with no issues until it rained yesterday and it stalled about 6 times trying to get home.

Any help or diagnosis hints would help greatly. I could use some wiring diagrams. Its just super hard to diagnose because its so rare to happen on good conditions and it only acts up for certain amounts of time. Below is the video of the issue.

Engine dies and the dash flashes like you are cycling the ignition. Hinting that it looses ignition power and gains it back.

Video of issue -
https://youtu.be/1ybl6cYIFlI
From what I've found online and in my own experience. Replace your distributor cap is has worn out and water is getting into it and causing a short. Making your spark go to the wrong cylinder and if bad enough killing your engine. Once stopped the water either evaporates or moves to a location that doesn't cause a short.
Old December 18th, 2022, 9:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can try soaking the engine bay with a garden hose and light spray to simulate wet conditions, Ignition switch failures were also popular in those. When it acts up check power in the fuse box and see if parts and dead and come back when recycling the switch. just a couple of quick thoughts.