S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2007, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

Hey, I have a 1994 S10 Blazer Tahoe LT. It has the CPI, not the TBI. Anyhow, I do not know a lot about vehicles, beyond straight electronics. So, bear with me on this question.

I bought a used, but bench-tested, alternator because mine went out and I cannot afford a new one or a refurb. I have installed it and volts are in the 14 to 15 range, as it was before with my old alternator (before it broke). My question is - does the fact that I hammered on it a bit to get it in place (on the housing), and subsequently took out a few small chips in the housing - is that a problem? I do not know enough about alternators to know what internal damage the shock of hitting it might create. I am assuming it is fine since the volts are good and the truck is running and starting as it used to. Again, I know this seems rudementary, but does it sound like everything is okay??? Thanks, Jason
Old April 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alternator

well ... obviously beating it with a hammer and breaking pieces off the casing wasn't a good thing. The main thing I'd be wondering if any of the broken pieces of the casing fell inside and getting in between the rotor and stator or the brushes.

You say it seems to be working so go with it ... time will tell.

btw ... it may be cheaper to have bought an overhaul kit from a part store for your alternator.