S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Alternator upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

jumper cables work fine. they're made from good wire. as long as they are big enough, say 12, 8, 6 gauge or so, however, the ground should be as short as possible. running ground from battery to rear of car can be done as long as the ground wire is at least as big if not bigger than the positive. preferably 2 sizes bigger. your buddies setup sounds just fine.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, took a little while yesterday, but got everything installed. Turn it up to about 20 and it's more than loud enough, I figure for me 15 while going down the road with the window is loud enough, lol. Anyway, while testing it, it did get turned up to 30, which is about 3/4 the way to full and you don't really want to be in the truck, and while sitting in the driver side seat, you can feel the air moving due to the speakers, lol. Have yet to drive it at night or what have you to test while ac going with head lights and such going for the alternator. Time shall tell all.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 7:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

makes me want to get back into the audio ring. glad it's goin well for ya
Old August 24th, 2010, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Went up to visit a buddy of mine who lives in the next town up from me, a guy he knows came along while I was letting my bud hear the new setup, guy thought I had a lot more in the truck versus what I do, lol. Also, Sunday on the way home, I don't remember if I had the A/C going or not (probably did though), had my lights on and my windshield wipers going (thunderstorm), all seemed fine, I didn't have the stereo cranked up, I probably want normally either....
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Thumper_ehhhhh
Do not run and power from your fuse box. Run it all from the battery Including the head unit. Fuse both ends incase it shorts out. If ya can get a capacitor for your subs I would. Yes you can get a bigger alt. I would also get a bigger battery too. More cold cranking amps.
I had a 1200watt Brutus amp and 2-12" 1200watt brutus subs installed in my 02 Blazer Xtreme and I had it professionally installed. He ran the wiring from the fuse box. I'm seeing where you say to run directly from the battery. Did he run it incorrectly? I don't know a lot about the installation so that's why i had it done professionally. I'm running 0 gague power wire.
Also, I have a tow package and was told that my alternator was larger and would be fine. I don't really notice the dimming of the lights until i turn up the system loud. Do you think a farad cap will resolve this or should i look into an even bigger alternator and battery as well?

Last edited by btholiway; January 17th, 2013 at 11:56 PM.