S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Blazer loss of power up hills

Old August 27th, 2017, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blazer loss of power up hills

The blazer 4.3 4x4 shifts fine through all gears. But going up a hill it boggs down and will shift down to next lowest gear when it gets to 1st gear I have to pull over. If I turn it off and re start I can drive until it goes through this cycle of down shifting to 1st. All the time I'm climbing the hill the rpm's are up at 2 thousand, feels like I'm pulling a house behind me going up hills. Was running great on flat road now at around 40-50now it's starting to hesitate like the fuel pump is going bad but it was replaced 1-2 years a go. Did a scan and came up with a code for a bad shift solenoid . It shifts just as smooth as can be. I also had the transmission rebuilt 3 years a go. I'm at my wits end. Has new plugs, wires, distrbuter, Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks too all in advance.
just added new fuel filter, catalytic converter, mass airflow sensor, I didn't mention even with gas pedal to the floor the rpm's never go above 2000-2200 to the floor is 2000 lift up on pedal just a bit and it will rise to 2200.

Last edited by Maineiacer; September 7th, 2017 at 9:48 AM. Reason: New parts and still persis
Old August 27th, 2017, 8:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Rings?
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rings.

There's no smoke out the exhaust or any loss of fluids. No sign of antifreeze in the Oil. The scanner has a shift solenoid code showing but it shifts fine up and down just no power. I really don't know where to look next. I'll ask my mechanic about the rings. Thanks for the reply.
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like a bad shift solenoid to me. Was it taking hills just fine, up until just now?
Old August 28th, 2017, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Shift solenoid

Originally Posted by therewolf
Sounds like a bad shift solenoid to me. Was it taking hills just fine, up until just now?
It gradually got worse over time now it bogs down even on flat ground. But shifts fine up and down every gear smooth as silk.
would I be missing any gear with a bad solenoid??. Thanks for helping I appreciate it.

Search this Thread