S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Blazer stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blazer stalling problem

Bought a 2000 blazer a few months ago. Ran ok at first. I’ve had intermittent starting/stalling problems. Seems to stall after it warms up. Then won’t start, or starts but barely idles, or starts and revs at about 3000rpm, then dies. If I let it sit a few minutes it starts, but then dies after a minute. The longer I let it sit (cool) the longer it runs. I get codes U1026, U1041 and U1064. Replace the fuel filter. Hate to admit it, but I knew I got suckered when I remove the instrument cluster and found the Check Engine Light un-soldered from the PC board. I soldered in a new one. Not sure if it is working though. The light does not come on when I turn the key to the on position. Which is the reason I removed the cluster. One last thing, the previous owner replaced the steering wheel lock/key. Any idea why it stalls like I described?
Old April 24th, 2008, 2:20 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Blazer stalling problem

All of those codes relate to loss of communication. Start the diagnoses by re+re-ing all power and ground sources under the hood. Clean them up, make sure they are tight. There is one near the windshield washer bottle that is for the EBCM, whihc is one of the codes that is being set. Most importantly, the battery terminals need to be clean and tight, and make sure there is no grease on them. A lot of old time mechanics, like to put grease on terminals to prevent corrosion. The heat under the hood only causes the grease to melt away and get in between contacts and just cause problems.
Old April 24th, 2008, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blazer stalling problem

Re+Re-ing? From what I have been reading I know there is grounding problems. I tried re-seating as many of the connectors under the hood I could find. I don’t know where to find all the grounds. I found one below the battery bracket. I already have cleaned the battery terminals. I read some threads about the BCM ground, but did not find it.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea where to find the grounds?