S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ticking noise

New to forum. Here's what I got. 99 s-10, 4.3, 98K miles... When load is on motor, as in powerbraking or accelerating, there is a ticking noise. No load, no noise. Have tried to find it- almost sounds like coming from bellhousing, can't tell for sure. Not super loud, doesn't appear to be exhaust leak. Only during load, like thinner metal tagging something when motor torques over a little. Not anythingt belt driven or on front of motor from appearances. Thought about flex plate (or converter bolts), but cadence is not as rapid as I'd expect. Misses a beat once in a while, frequency is more of what I have experienced from exhaust leaks. Everything tight apparently. Runs, shifts perfect, although I think the fuel pump is a little louder than it has been. (Wife drives it more than I do). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Wylie
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it could be caused by "pre-detonation" in the cylinder. basically this is when the spark happens before it should, leaving some gas unburned. could be from worn plugs, wires, cap, rotor, clogged air filter, maybe low fuel pressure. just a thought.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Just had a complete tune up and service on it recently...the noise doesn't remind me of the 'death rattle', it sounds more like (external more than internal?) thin metal tagging on something, and only when the motor torques over. That's the trouble- one thing can sound like something else easily. I used a stethescope on it, and all I got was an indication of the noise (maybe) coming from the bellhousing, oil pan area- but these things resonate a lot also. I was wondering if there were any common issues to these vehicles that an be the cause. I'm gonna pull the serpentine anyway- just in case, and then check it. These things are a pain to chase down.
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

sounds like exhaust manifold leak. Either gasket or warped or cracked manifold
Old May 25th, 2010, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

ya, as far as exhaust..if manifolds were off, might have rear-most gaskets in wrong? Or, could be loose clutch fan too...seen that before 1st hand..
Old May 26th, 2010, 6:40 AM
CF Beginner

Messed with it again today.... Removed serpentine- same. checked starter, dist, heat risers in head pipe (didn't see any!), torqued motor in fwd and rev, same thing. Still coming from bellhousing possibly- the cadence is what throws me...seems too slow for a flexplate, even though it speeds up with rpm... Not what I am accustomed to for exhaust leaks, although I know they can vary in sound. I'm starting to think it is either something minor and stupid , or the flexplate. Will look at it more today. Keep the input coming though- I appreciate it and there's got to be something I'm overlooking. Hopefully something stupid and cheap to fix . Thx
Wylie
Old May 26th, 2010, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Finally found the issue today- somewhat....it looks like the flexplate is cracked, (which I can't see all of it), or the bolts on the converter are loose. They don't appear to be backed out, but will have to verify. Unfortunately, the trans and transfer case have to be pulled back to do this. If the conv bolts are bad, possibility the converter will have to be replaced, which they are integrated into. Also, the rear main is leaking, so now is the time to replace it also.
Old May 28th, 2010, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

I had a ticking noise that turned out to be something loose in the heater core. It was driving me nuts. I checked everything underneath the car. Took it to my local trans shop to inspect the flex plate. Finally I left it with my mechanic and they identifed it by pinching off the heater hose. I tried flushing the core but could not get rid of the rattle. I ended up replacing the core. I am glad you found the problem.
Old May 28th, 2010, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Lots of good suggestions from all- thanks.
I finally found the noise. I try to make it a habit to keep checking things as I go, even if I have it in my head what the issue is. Luckily, I did it this time also. The problem turned out to be the starr, believe it or not. The pinion gear was just barely tagging on the gear ring on the flexplate. I don't know if something moved a bit (we do a lot of off road- but it wasn't loose), or if it was just one of those things. Anyway- the pinion wasn't looking good in the home position, so I replaced it. Problem gone. Imagine that. Hope this will help someone else at some point, as far as possible noise origins. I never would have thought it.
Old February 17th, 2017, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Can you help me? I have noise and have driven wash board roads for a while when all of a sudden my 97 s 10 truck v 6 vortec started the scarry engine sounds. I think flex plate How difficult to take starter out and check? What were your sounds?
Yosef