S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Fuel sending unit/pump or cluster?

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel sending unit/pump or cluster?

Hello everyone. New to this forum. I really need some advice. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup 2.2. I have an issue with the fuel gauge. When I first turn on my truck, the fuel gauge needle jumps up to the "full" position. After a while(few seconds) the needle sinks back down to empty and the low fuel light comes on. The check engine light is also on. I took it in to a local repair shop and had them check it out. The pulled off the bed and checked the sending unit and said that there was power going to and from. So then they checked all the wiring up to the gauge and concluded that the fuel gauge was bad and that I needed to replace the gauge cluster as I could not repair just the gauge. So I located a cluster and was talking to the gent who was selling it. He was hesitant to sell me the cluster saying that it probably wouldn't fix my issue. Said that the sending units in these vehicles have a bad design and problems like this are usually caused by worn out feelers on the unit. Even though the unit has power in and out it can still be bad because of the feelers. So I called back my mechanic and he assured me they had tested the sending unit and that the problem still was with the gauge itself. I want to get this fixed and don't mind spendin the money to fix. But I don't want to drop a crapload of money into something that can't seem to be figured out. Please any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 12th, 2011, 1:15 AM
CF Beginner

I literally just fixed this exact problem on my truck and its sounds like your mechanic is retarted, or trying to cost you some extra money cause your problem will be fixed i assure you if you replace the fuel pump.
Old November 19th, 2013, 9:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Am having a similar problem.When I turn the key on,the guage pegs FULL,& stays.
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Enchinga and Badotiouskid,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. When you say mechanic, are you referring to your Chevrolet dealership? If so, I can certainly assist and reach out to your dealership for you. Please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 15th, 2013, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Enchinga and Badotiouskid,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. When you say mechanic, are you referring to your Chevrolet dealership? If so, I can certainly assist and reach out to your dealership for you. Please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Haven't carried mine to mechanic.Just trying to figure out what's wrong.
Old December 16th, 2013, 9:41 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

bodatiouskid,

I understand. I am sure the forum members will have great advice. If you do have your dealership look into this, we are here.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care