S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Grinding noise in an 83 S10 blazer

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2008, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise in an 83 S10 blazer

I have an 83 S10 blazer... This blazer is manual... When I'm driving the blazer... and I push in the clutch and pull it out of gear - I hear some grinding noise coming from the back (maybe the back right) side of the car... But when the car is in gear it doesn't make that noise ( I don't think ) ... Also while the clutch is pushed in and I'm going slow... The grinding thing can actually bring the blazer to a stop. But I have to be barely moving for it to kinda do that.

I looked at the "pumpkin" thing on the rear axle... I'm not sure what it's real name is. But it has some small dents on the bottom on the seal and at one time I think someone had stuffed a blue rag in there??? Theres some blue cloth kinda hanging out of the crack - but just barely.

What could this grinding noise be?
Old March 8th, 2008, 3:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Grinding noise in an 83 S10 blazer

it could be a number of things. it could be the synchros going out on the transmission, as you said you hear it when pulling it out of gear. but if it is driving fine and you only hear when coming to a stop, it is more than likely the rear end. i would check to see if there is adequate fluid in the rear diff. if there is make sure it is clean. i would go ahead and unbolt the pumpkin from the rear end and check to see if anything is damaged or if there are any metal flakes laying in the bottom. if you do take it off, make sure you put a new gasket back on there. it will run you roughly 30-40 bucks for a new gasket and about 10-20 bucks for new gear lube. when you change out the fluid atleast put some decent 70w-140 back in it