Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Grinding noise 2005 Aveo

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2007, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise 2005 Aveo

My boyfriend just bought a 2005 Chevy Aveo with 31,000 miles on it. It was previously owned by a rental company. Its inspected and supposedly "problem free"(according to the dealer). We had a question and were hoping somebody here would have a answer. His car seems to have a issue with making a grinding noise when he turns tightly or goes over a large bump. I dont know if this is normal...my mom has a 2000 Chevy Cavalier and she said something about the pin steering sometimes causing this and its no biggie. I was worried though, he works till 5pm so we never have time to bring it to the dealer to have it looked at(we are still under warrenty)but he is willing to let me take it and him take my car if its something to be worried about. I prefer not to as I am freaked to drive his car cause its so new...LOL. So if anyone here could let me know if its something to worry about I would much appreciate it!
Old February 5th, 2007, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Grinding noise 2005 Aveo

I have an '04 Aveo with 38k miles (24k of which I put on it), and I haven't noticed this problem. There has been a noise coming from the front when I go over large bumps lately, but I doubt it's the same thing. My opinion is that if it's under warrenty, and it's something you know you can replicate, bring it in.
Old August 11th, 2007, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Grinding noise 2005 Aveo

The grinding or crunching noise from front suspension in Aveos isa minor problem and it's cheap and easy to fix.

Some of the early Aveos have front stabilizer bar bushingsthat aretoo hard. The hard bushings create the grinding or crunching noise you hear when you drive over a bump. New bushings are available for $10 to $15 forthe pair. A back yard mechanic can install them or it can be done at a shop. If you go to this web site: http://alldata.com/TSB/041056_en.html, you can find more information in a technical service bulletin for the car.
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:33 PM
CF Junior Member

My opinion is almost the same. Aveo Many, including my problems meeting (but not deaths) in the suspension and steering from the front. It does not affect handling or anything, but it often does, even squaky grinding sounds.

Yups, steering knuckle is one thing, but you can also check the tie rod, ball joints, shock absorbers, and also the power steering system. If leaking power steering fluid, even a little, makes noises when you turn your steering wheel. Try to put the left and right wheel in a parking position (the engine of course) if you hear noises that the problem is the power steering system.

New Cars