S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Heater Blowing Cold in 2000 blazer

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2007, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Blowing Cold in 2000 blazer

I'm looking to see if anyone has any ideas about what might be causing my situation. My 2000 blazer LS used to blow some of the hottest heat in the winter of any car I've ever been in, then two winters, it started blowing cold mid winter, I had a mechanic "blow out the core" which caused it go back to blowing hot again. Then last winter, did the same thing, only this time, blowing out the core did nothing. For the rest of the winter, it blew cold.
The odd thing is that it is getting slightly cool again (40s-60s) and now its blowing hot again, but I am sure that once it gets really cold (0s-30s) it will blow cold again.

Any one have any ideas? I have a new son, so I need to fix it for good this time, can't have a newbord riding in a car at 15 degrees.

Thanks.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 7:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Heater Blowing Cold in 2000 blazer

replace your themostat its a a cheap fix!! good luck
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Thermostat, I'm afraid is only a temporary fix. Your temp gauge should be right around or slightly below 210. If its not, allow ample time for it to heat up. If its blowing cold at running temperature, you are looking at a heater core replacement.
Before you do that, however, it would be a good idea to do a fullengine cooling systemflush. Radiator, heater core and all.
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:43 AM
CF Beginner

..we had this on my boy's 2000 LT. After reading lots on the Internet I checked for a gurgling sound coming from the heater core under the glove box, which we had. Long story, it had an air-lock in it, caused by a crack in the radiator that pulled in air as it cooled. I replaced the radiator, thermostat and radiator cap, and the carefully put in coolant with the car jacked up on the side keeping the radiator cap opening up on the high side..let all the air bubble out.
Has been ok ever since.
Earl
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

My heater will run you out of the vehicle... I had a problem last year and a flush took care of it.
Old January 18th, 2008, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem in my 2000 S-10. Your antifreeze (dexcool) which is the worst thing ever invented is jelling. If you add regular green antifreeze it will jell to the point of serious damage to the cooling system. This jell would clog my heater core and also collect in the bottom of my radiator. I would hook the heater up to my garden hose and reverse flush the core and that would work until the next time it would clog. the way I finally fixed it is by replacing the radiator and hoses. (my radiator was so clogged my truck wouldoverheat). From then on use the green antifreeze that is compatible with both colors of antifreeze.
Old November 16th, 2017, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy antifreeze victims

The problem with the cooling system in the Chevy blazer is .....CHEVY SPECIAL ANTIFREEZE....it's a sludge builder..it gets every where and cogs everything...
we are slaves too it... there is nothing else to use..
I say you should do an intire engine flush once a year..
Old November 16th, 2017, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RoboCrash
The problem with the cooling system in the Chevy blazer is .....CHEVY SPECIAL ANTIFREEZE....it's a sludge builder..it gets every where and cogs everything...
we are slaves too it... there is nothing else to use..
I say you should do an intire engine flush once a year..
I am currently dealing with the same issue with my 2000 blazer ls I bought last week...
Old November 17th, 2017, 4:23 AM
CF Active Member

There is no problem in using "Dex-Cool" antifreeze as long as that is all you use. It is not compatible with other antifreeze products and when mixed will create a white rubbery compound that will really plug your system. Disconnect your heater hoses and run fresh water through it in both directions to loosen up and flush out any built up debris. I don't recommend using any cleaners or flushing products as they sometimes can do more harm than good. Also make sure your block is fully drained and run water through it until it comes out clear. If you think you have a clogged radiator, have it serviced by a professional shop. They will boil it out and pressure test. When you get ready to refill the system, use the recommended antifreeze listed in your owner's manual. If it recommends "Dex-Cool" do not combine it with anything else, including any antifreeze that says it is compatible with orange antifreeze. I like Prestone's product and have had no problems with it.
Old November 17th, 2017, 6:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 99 blazer use to do that until I changed the thermostat ! the antifreeze has nothing to do with it blowing hot or cold air ! change the thermostat and see if that helps !

Quick Reply: Heater Blowing Cold in 2000 blazer