S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Help!! ready to pull my hair out.

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2020, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! ready to pull my hair out.

Bear with me, this is a long one. I need help figuring out what is wrong with my S10 please. The truck is a 2003 S10 LS extended cab with the 4.3 V6, it has 130k miles on it and has had regular maintenance. It is a two owner truck, my sister in law and then me. I have had it about two years, shortly after I got it the fuel pump began to whine so I expected it to need a fuel pump. Every now and then it would be hard to start after being driven and then sitting, such as going to lunch and then starting back to work, or it had a rough idle that would smooth out after running for a few seconds. Back in December of 2019 it died on the highway while my wife was driving it. She was accelerating onto the interstate and it died "like it was switched off". We were leaving town for Christmas so I had it towed to a shop I know and trust. I figured the pump had finally gone out but the guys checked for pressure and it was good, they discovered that the metal contact was gone from the rotor button. They just charged me $20 for the new part. A few weeks later it was hard to start after I had been in the grocery store for about 45 minutes. It ran rough but didn't ever smooth out, about a block from home the check engine light came on and I eased on into the driveway with it. My OBD scanner gave the code for a mis-fire on #3 cylinder. Not being sure how old the rotor had been I decided to do a tune up. I replaced; plugs, wires, distributor cap, pcv valve and fuel filter. The mis-fire and rough idle persisted and continued to log the code for the #3 cylinder. I did some online research and discovered the problem with the spider fuel injector system going bad. I drove it to the shop, about three miles, and they looked at it and agreed it was an injector stuck open as there was very heavy fuel smell. I ordered a new unit from partsgeek.com and installed the new spider injector unit. It started and ran fine unless it was already warmed up, then was hard to start like before. I decided the fuel pump must be the problem as it was starting to lose power on the top end when trying to pull out to pass on the highway. I replaced the fuel pump and it started and ran fine until I drove it. It bogs down now at all speeds. It will idle and rev up fine but under load it has no power, no throttle response and it used to be able to light up the tires, it makes a muffled roar under the drivers side hood when you try to accelerate as if straining for air to go in. I drove it around the block with the air filter out and there was no change. In addition to the new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, pcv valve, fuel filter, and fuel pump it has a new air filter, I have cleaned the mass airflow sensor and even disconnected same to see if it would go to a "neutral" position to determine if it was bad. All that did was give me a check engine light and code for the sensor. I have checked for vacuum leaks around the intake where I had it out, and at idle it will hold 18 - 20 inches of vacuum. It has always seemed to generate A LOT of heat under the hood but has never run hot, the gauge never goes above 210. The oil pressure gauge is also "twitchy", but shows good pressure. I know these are notable for the distributor drive gear wearing and having too much play, could the ignition coil be "slowing failing" (I have never heard of a slow demise, they always just go out), or could I have a stopped up catalytic converter from the miles driven with the #3 cylinder flooding? Getting tired of thinking I have it solved and then it getting worse, and throwing time and parts at it. Any help and insight is greatly appreciated!!