S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Help, ready to pull my hair out

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2020, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update; I was able to limp it up the road to a shop for a diagnostic they have had it two days, no word so far.
Old July 13th, 2020, 9:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do keep us updated..thanks
Old July 15th, 2020, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Update: They think it is a stopped up catalytic converter. I had pulled an O2 sensor before to see if that made a difference and it barely changed the power loss. They are quoting - replace the Y pipe, the converter and the O2 sensors for $1200. I am probably going to let them go ahead with it. I do not have everything I would need to do the job.
Old July 15th, 2020, 8:52 AM
CF Active Member

yeesh...for $1200, they better KNOW, not "think"........if after spending this, and the issue still persists, I'd be ON THEM like a rabid pit bull on a bone..I'd want some kind of guar if having to shell out THAT kind of $$!!...GOOD LUCK
Old July 27th, 2020, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hogbiker
yeesh...for $1200, they better KNOW, not "think"........if after spending this, and the issue still persists, I'd be ON THEM like a rabid pit bull on a bone..I'd want some kind of guar if having to shell out THAT kind of $$!!...GOOD LUCK
UPDATE: In the middle of all this we are preparing to move and I am job hunting, so it has been "on the back burner". I talked to the shop and they were not 100% sure, and said $1200 was the starting point, barring any unforeseen issues (rusted/broken bolts or the like) they also said the exhaust on it was the type for a 4X4 not a 2wd. They suggested a muffler shop that could do the work cheaper. The muffler shop was closed for a week for them to take a vacation. I got mad enough to mess with it again, climbed under it and decided to try it myself! The Y pipe unbolts behind the converter and at the exhaust manifolds, so no welding. I had a bit of trouble ordering the part. What is on there is different from what comes up when you search online or at the parts store (so the shop was right about that). I ordered a cat and Y pipe from EBay based on my vehicle parameters AND what it looked like. It was supposed to arrive Wednesday 7-29 but showed up today. It looks like what is on there now so I think I did OK. I hope I can get it installed this week. I have sprayed the bolts with penetrating oil and will do so a few more times before I try to take them off, I learned that years ago. I will update when there is more to tell.
Old July 31st, 2020, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE!!! IT IS FIXED!!! I talked myself out of changing the cat and Y pipe myself. Decided if I broke a manifold flange bolt there is no room to drill it out. I found an independent muffler shop run by a guy that used to work at one of the big shops in town. When I talked to him and he ask about the truck (2003, 130K miles and the 4.3 V6) he said those Chevy 4.3 cats stop up ALOT! Running great now and he only charged $130 labor. If not against the forum rules; his name is Dan, and he is the owner of Woodstock Muffler in Woodstock, GA.
Old July 31st, 2020, 5:02 PM
CF Active Member

AWESOME!!...thanks for keepin' us updated!!!...guess that is the next thing I'll invest $$ in