S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

help with towing information 2002 s10 crewcab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2010, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with towing information 2002 s10 crewcab 4x4

Well had my trailer jump off the ball this weekend. So it's time to talk to the pro's.

1st, I am using the step/tow bumper and towing a small utility trailer hauling my bike. Trailer wt is like 1200lbs. bike is 650 so total as you can see is under 2klbs total.

So, my 1st question is what is the gross weight that the step/tow bumper is rated for. I want to be sure I am not risking things. I know I should be on a frame mounted tow hitch but for now this is the set up.

I believe the gross total towing capacity of the truck is 3k lbs correct? so for now I just need to confirm a couple of capacity specs.

What are the general rules of thumb for towing. ie, trailer tongue level when attached to the ball? ie, no dramatic angle either up to of down to the ball...as long as it is generaly level.

Anyone know if my stock s10 crew cab 4x4 has a tranny cooler? or will I have to install an aftermarket cooler?

thanks for some input guys!

Last edited by gchalifoux; August 22nd, 2010 at 8:36 PM. Reason: because
Old August 23rd, 2010, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default tranny coolers and type of tranny

along with my original questions I am trying to confirm the tranny model in my 2002 s10 crew cab 4x4 v6. Anyone know if its a 700r4 or a 4160e ??

I'm thinking 3 tranny's in 3 years is unacceptable. Also thinking because of my towing this is killing my tranny....friggin 2k lbs is killing my tranny. Something is not right.

It's been mentioned about the "throttle valve cable" being adjusted properly? can someone give me some detail about this adjustment....something I can do myself? Also it's at AAMCO as we speak so I'd like to bring this to their attention so they can make the adjustment for me while they have it.

Can someone explain how this impacts the shifting...ie, keeps it in a lower gear longer while the vehicle under load gets up to speed?

Also, people as mentioning not to run the vehicle in overdrive while towing. ?? I wasn't aware my truck had overdrive....unless D = overdrive as apposed to just drive??

thanks for your input...

gary
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

whats up??/ anyone? any tranny experts out there that can give me some feedback on my questions?