S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Misunderstood AC Unit in '99 S10 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2007, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misunderstood AC Unit in '99 S10 Blazer

You will soon realize it's been a long time since I did anything on the right path with the ac unit. My (S10) Blazer wasn't cooling, and the first thing I did was to put a jumper across the low-pressure-switch. A few seconds later, BANG! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, (belt slipping). Wrong thing to do. Locked up. I imagine the R134a was low, but not all gone. Liquid in comressor inlet? Did I kill the compressor? If I did, what are the possibilities of the system still being clean? Will I have to replace all the normally recommended replacements? Or are there alternatives to a major rebuild?
Thanks to anyone sympathetic enough to offer me any advice on how to make the best of a bad situation... ...carrotman [:-][X(]
Old July 13th, 2007, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Misunderstood AC Unit in '99 S10 Blazer

well if your compressor seized up which what it sounds like happened it probably wasn't a result of jumpering out the pressure switch. You will need a new compressor for sure, in order for the warrenty to be valid you will need to replace the orifice tube, dryer/accumulator, and flush the condensor and lines then recharge the system. Just did this with my blazer yesterday because my compressor siezed up, cost's about $300 plus to get my A/C back. good luck......
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Thank You, aircrewman. that's what I was afraid of being locked into. Any possible info on flushing? I don't expect to do this many times.Should I flush with an inert gas or clean air, and then add a reliable filterat the Compressor inlet to be a safeguard against possible debris?
Thanks again... ...carrotman
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

advance sells two different kinds of flush there is liquid and spray, the spray is easier and has directions on the can, you will need a supply of shop air to complete the task... A filter is a good idea for safe gaurding against debri from entering the system....