S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Need Help Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2009, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need Help Check Engine Light

I have an 1983 S-10 Pick Up 4x4 with 2.8 Carburated Engine. My check engine light does not work. I took out cluster and changed bulb and still doesnt work. Everything like choke, turn signals emergency brake those lights work anybody have any solutions Thanks Bob
Old July 20th, 2009, 5:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kalispellbob
I have an 1983 S-10 Pick Up 4x4 with 2.8 Carburated Engine. My check engine light does not work. I took out cluster and changed bulb and still doesnt work. Everything like choke, turn signals emergency brake those lights work anybody have any solutions Thanks Bob
Bob ... I have a service manual but there are no wiring diagrams for S-10 prior to 1995 ... I've attached the 95 schematic for instrument cluster.

You'll note low side of MIL light is connected to VCM C4-5 brown-white wire and high side is powered by a pink wire from 10 amp GAUGE fuse in IP fuse block.

I believe OBD-II was mandatory in 1996 so perhaps anything 95 and older were wired basically the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
95 S-10 MIL Schematic.pdf (27.8 KB, 219 views)
Old July 20th, 2009, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Grumpy i will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for PDF and Help. Bob
Old July 21st, 2009, 7:16 PM
CF Junior Member

[QUOTE]Bob ... I have a service manual but there are no wiring diagrams for S-10 prior to 1995 ... I've attached the 95 schematic for instrument cluster.

You'll note low side of MIL light is connected to VCM C4-5 brown-white wire and high side is powered by a pink wire from 10 amp GAUGE fuse in IP fuse block.

I believe OBD-II was mandatory in 1996 so perhaps anything 95 and older were wired basically the same./QUOTE]

Truth be tolled............ I believe this to be no HELP!!! Or just a plain wast of time.You need the right information for truck.If your needing a Schematic and you can't get it here .TRY YOUR LOCAL library.They have or usually can get you the books you need or try your local car dealer and talk with the service manger .Ask him or her if they can help and let you Photo copy your area of need.

Last edited by Turn this car around; July 21st, 2009 at 7:29 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks i will try library see if they have it i will post back with results. Bob
Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Need Help - Check Engine Light

Turn this car around ... why the rant and why edit my post?

Kalispellbob asked for assistance and I did the best I could with what I had.

I suggest in the future if you disagree with a post by others you at least click on the New Reply button and add your comments in the new block.

It confuses me - and perhaps others - if you do otherwise.

I participate in several forums and don't recall being able to revise or edit comments provided by others ... without moderator assistance that is.

Wow.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:24 AM
CF Junior Member

far2grumpy Bad day and it was no rant but the Truth!!! You think a twelve year difference in the information won't be confusing . Chasing around with no end and you have the service manual .When read tells you it's coverage.He be chasing the rabbit down a log pipe for that one.... As for the way I listed what I did I knew of know other way . I could tell you were confused before I posted.I don't have all day to sit around and to participate in multi forums.But since you do you can possibly help me out here .By telling me how to but the Quote box in here the right way.By the way I just want to help out who I can here as best I can with good information to make it a little easier for those seeking help.By the way I'am not reading from a service manual here..

Last edited by Turn this car around; July 23rd, 2009 at 2:39 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Check Engine Light

Turn this car around ...

If you don't want to include a post in your response select New Reply.

If you want to include any post in your reply select the Quote button - lower right side of post. Once you include the quoted post you can delete all, or part, to just respond to the pertinent item.

I have time for forums because I recently retired after 50 consecutive years from U.S. military and then private industry. I'm pushing 68 and have owned 35 different cars and trucks - some new - mostly used - and tried to do most of my work.

Even after working on so many vehicles I'm amazed at how little I know - or remember - about mechanics.

I bought a new Saturn Vue a few years ago and wound up with a GM service manual on DVD as part of deal. It has good info, but only up to and including 2005.

I have an account with our local library and can access their electronic auto repair files ... the on-line files don't have any ECU to instrument panel wiring data for the 1983 S-10 2.8 V-6.

I tracked down a diagram for 1986 S-10 with 2.8 V-6 which has brown-white wire (same as 1995 I posted earlier) from ECU to SES light.

I will email this diagram if anyone needs ... provide email address by using forum private message feature.

Have a good day.

Last edited by far2grumpy; July 23rd, 2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: change name
Old July 23rd, 2009, 8:26 PM
CF Junior Member

far2grumpy,
Thanks I will use that in the future , hopefully I remember that.Can you tell me how many wires are leading into that ECU .I have had several Saturns sl1's and sl2's no Vue's yet .I think there are a great car good for around town.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by far2grumpy
Turn this car around ... why the rant and why edit my post?

Kalispellbob asked for assistance and I did the best I could with what I had.

I suggest in the future if you disagree with a post by others you at least click on the New Reply button and add your comments in the new block.

It confuses me - and perhaps others - if you do otherwise.

I participate in several forums and don't recall being able to revise or edit comments provided by others ... without moderator assistance that is.

Wow.
He wasn't able to edit your post.
Looks like he did quote it though he messed the quote bb tag by accident.
BTW, you have established yourself as a valued member here and I might add that its very nice that you are providing downloadable PDFs. Its shows that you are very generous with your time and resources. Please don't let an argument stand in the way of your willingness to help.

Turn this car around....
To prevent possible arguments, you need not say someone is wrong, just reply with your "better information" and mention nothing of the information given by someone else prior to your reply. Following that rule of thumb will keep conflict out of the picture. Thats what I'm working toward with this forum and have so far successfully done with this forum.

Good day.

Quick Reply: Need Help Check Engine Light