S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Please help diagnose this noise

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2014, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help diagnose this noise

My 98 s-10 2WD 4 cyl with 135K miles has been making this grinding noise in the rear. Sounds exactly like grinding from really worn out brakes.

video 1 with drums on
video 2 with drums off

I can't tell where it's coming from. Both sides equal so I'm suspecting differential.
Shop looked at it and came up with bad U-joint and recommended differential service.
I fixed the u-joint. Fluid level ok in differential
Old June 24th, 2014, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisinfanatic
My 98 s-10 2WD 4 cyl with 135K miles has been making this grinding noise in the rear. Sounds exactly like grinding from really worn out brakes.

video 1 with drums on
video 2 with drums off

I can't tell where it's coming from. Both sides equal so I'm suspecting differential.
Shop looked at it and came up with bad U-joint and recommended differential service.
I fixed the u-joint. Fluid level ok in differential
sounds like the pinion gear in the differential has broken a tooth. Get ready fo replace rear end. When was the last time you checked teh oil in the differential
Old June 25th, 2014, 5:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by skruzich
sounds like the pinion gear in the differential has broken a tooth. Get ready fo replace rear end. When was the last time you checked teh oil in the differential
one of the first things I checked. Level was fine
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Did you open up the pan and look at the gears? I'm betting there is a broken tooth or two or at least they are chipped off somewhere
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

One other thing it could be is bearings. Might be the axel bearing but you'll have to pull it out to check it. and while your doing that check the ring gears and pinion in the differential
Old August 15th, 2014, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

I'm back and still baffled. I took off the cover of the differential to get a see inside. Didn't see any obvious wear or damage.
Also have what seems to be breaks dragging. Gets worse after driving for a few minutes. Will actually hold the truck on slight incline. Could this be related?
Old August 17th, 2014, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

I had a similar problem it was a pinion and spider gear issue
Old August 17th, 2014, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

I'm back and still baffled. I took off the cover of the differential to get a see inside. Didn't see any obvious wear or damage.
Also have what seems to be breaks dragging. Gets worse after driving for a few minutes. Will actually hold the truck on slight incline. Could this be related?

ABSOLUTELY! its most likely one of the calipres are frozen and bad. Replace calipers and brake pads and make sure to turn the rotors as well.

they are around 42.00 each, might be cheaper where you are. REPLACE BOTH rear calipers, pads and turn rotors. IF this has drums which it shouldn't if its a 98, turn drums and replace shoes and the piston at the top where it pushes the shoes against the drum.

I Think it is rotors though and you just need to replace them.
That growling sound could be also that you have ground into the rotors with the rivets in the brake pads. Replace rotor if it can't be turned and when you buy pads, buy bonded pads not riveted pads.That will save you money in the long run.
Old August 17th, 2014, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

My uncle whos a master mechanic says it sounds like pinion gear bearings in the differential
Old August 18th, 2014, 4:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by southerencustoms
I had a similar problem it was a pinion and spider gear issue
expensive to fix?
The following users liked this post:
ChaseD (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Please help diagnose this noise