S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2010 | 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Red face Rear Brakes

I have a 2004 S-10,4X4. I changed a rear caliper, and now there is no pressure on both, when I try to bleed the backs, but the front have pressure? I was told there is "specific" bleeding procedure? Then I was told that I would have to take it to the "dealer" because they have a "code reader" that is needed to fix this. I think that it is the master cylinder, because when I open the "front line on the master cylinder there is nothing? I believe that the front line controls the back brakes. Has "anyone" ran into this? Can anyone help?
Old December 14th, 2010 | 5:50 PM
CF Junior Member

you dont need to bring it to the dealer. now that you touched the master you will have to bleed the master first rule is that what ever line you open you will ONLY have to bleed that line BUT if you run out of dot3 fluid then yes you will have to bleed that master also but anytime you have to change a master then you do the one far away from the master so it will be rear pass , rear driver front pass then last front driver. why did you change the calipers? when you change them did you do one at a time or both at a time?
Old December 15th, 2010 | 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default lynnboy

I "only" changed one, because the piston was leaking. I also "only bled that caliper, and I had no brake pedal. So I bled the hole system and I had no pressure "at all" on the back set of calipers. So I just cracked "one" line at a time on the master cylinder ,and had someone "basically " bleed the master cylinder. I opened the "rear" line had them push the pedal down and "hold it" until I closed the line. But when I opened the "front" line there was "nothing", no pressure, no fluid.
Old December 15th, 2010 | 1:04 PM
CF Junior Member

did you have brakes befor? back brakes needs more bleeding then the fronts. maybe what happend was that your piston was leaking and keep applying the brakes you must of lost all your rear brake fluid for the rear? if that was the case then yes you must bleed the master first then the abs system then rr, rl, fr and last the fl try that if you dont get anything still then check your lines to see if its not pinched or leaking then just get a new master but make sure you bench bleed it first befor installing it in the car.. oh auto parts store will make you pay for a core charge so make sure you bring your old master with you
Old December 16th, 2010 | 5:14 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I did have brakes before this. The reservoir is not divided