S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Should I keep it ?

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2019, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I keep it ?

Hey Everybody,
I’m new, joined today. This is my first post. My background....I can usually fix most anything if I’m given the main gist of the solution, and I’ve done alotta work on my vehicles. So, I have a 1996 S10 w 250k miles. I’m wondering if I should keep it. I like it, it serves all my needs (tho prefer 4wd). The spider ignition has just gone bad ($150 for part and $650 labor @$80/hour, and also some unknown issue w evap system ($120 to get precisely diagnosed...parts/labor unknown). I’ve put probly $5000 into in last 10 years and wondering if I should do this repair and expect reliability for a couple years or do these S10s crap out at a certain # of miles. Thank you. Derry.
Old October 30th, 2019, 1:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Derrybomb
Hey Everybody,
I’m new, joined today. This is my first post. My background....I can usually fix most anything if I’m given the main gist of the solution, and I’ve done alotta work on my vehicles. So, I have a 1996 S10 w 250k miles. I’m wondering if I should keep it. I like it, it serves all my needs (tho prefer 4wd). The spider ignition has just gone bad ($150 for part and $650 labor @$80/hour, and also some unknown issue w evap system ($120 to get precisely diagnosed...parts/labor unknown). I’ve put probly $5000 into in last 10 years and wondering if I should do this repair and expect reliability for a couple years or do these S10s crap out at a certain # of miles. Thank you. Derry.
Well, its going to need to be repaired to sell it, although you could get a tax write off if you donate it as is. At 23 years old with 250k it will take more money later on.
I would sell or donate it Then you could look for a four-wheel-drive vehicle that is newer ( I never buy new). Evap. systems can cost some real $$$ too.
The following users liked this post:
Derrybomb (October 30th, 2019)
Old October 30th, 2019, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Ouch....but yeh, good to know. I’m torn, it’s a gamble, I need it to last 2 years so I can afford Used/Certified (I wouldn’t buy new either). I have not had to do alot to engine before...my friend was only other owner and got regular oil changes and tune ups. I had a transmission issue w 3rd gear 6 urs ago and mechanic pulled it, did what he could without major repair and while it was out replaced leaking main seal. Trans has been fine ever since. 9 years ago I replaced all fromt bushings, ball joints, other suspension worn issues. Also timing belt/chain 3 yrs ago. Thats about it. Just giving info so u know the condition its in.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.
Old December 20th, 2019, 2:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet the majority of posters on the forum have found themselves in your situation, I know I have. Do I keep it and dump more money into it, or cut my losses and move on. It seems mechanical problems never happen at a convenient time. If only we didn't get so attached to our vehicles! I just went through this with an 84 S10 4x4. I made a balance sheet of pros and cons, and really considered the benefits of driving and maintaining a 35 year old truck for purely emotional reasons. I bought a 2003 ZR2 yesterday! May not help you in your decision, but I can sympathize
Old February 18th, 2020, 12:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Have you checked auto salvage yards or junk yards?... A lot of times I find good parts cheap! especially if you already paid for the diagnosis and know which parts you need! It might last you the time needed to get yourself into a position to purchase something better and it will be running so you can get more for it!
Pull-A-Part has saved me Thousands! and once i pull the part at the yard I know how it comes off of my S10!
Good Luck,
Scott