S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

starting issue with my 01 blazer

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2009, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issue with my 01 blazer

I have a 01 chevy blazer with 140,000 miles. Lately it has been starting hard in the morning. I have to turn it over about 3-5 times befor it will fire, and within those time it will barely start to run but then shut down. after that first start that it will fire right up unless it sits for a few hours. Plugs and wires are probably about 2 years old. distrbutor cap is about a year old and fuel pump about two years old.. and fuel filter just got replaced like two months ago. anybody have a clue on whats going on?? I really dont want to spend a ton of money just to find the problem.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 5:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would change plugs and wires. Two years is a long time without a tune up.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by knox_01blazer
I have a 01 chevy blazer with 140,000 miles. Lately it has been starting hard in the morning. I have to turn it over about 3-5 times befor it will fire, and within those time it will barely start to run but then shut down. after that first start that it will fire right up unless it sits for a few hours. Plugs and wires are probably about 2 years old. distrbutor cap is about a year old and fuel pump about two years old.. and fuel filter just got replaced like two months ago. anybody have a clue on whats going on?? I really dont want to spend a ton of money just to find the problem.
Could be the in-tank fuel pump check valve ... if valve is flaky, the fuel manifold could leak pressure back into the tank.

If the manifold is holding pressure the pump will should run for 2 seconds at key ON. Next time engine is cold turn key to ON for several seconds before trying to start.

An alternate test ... if there's a fitting on your fuel rail, you could ... using great caution (cover with a rag) ... relieve the fitting to see if fuel is forcefully expelled.

I was just thinking ... the PCM may limit fuel pump cycle to 2 seconds ... if it runs and stops, you might turn key OFF and back to ON two or three times to ensure the fuel rail is pressurized (55 - 60 psi).

Last edited by far2grumpy; July 22nd, 2009 at 9:26 PM. Reason: add information
Old July 23rd, 2009, 1:30 AM
CF Junior Member

What kind of miles do you have on your two year old tune up?Your plugs wires and distributor cap and you did replace the rotor when you did the cap right?What about the air filter is it maintained ?