S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Sudden No Start, No Crank

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2019, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden No Start, No Crank

Hey y'all! I purchased an 84 chevy s10, automatic, 2.8l v6, two years back. When I purchased it, it ran, rough, but it ran. There was a cracked vacuum hose that caused some idling issues, but regardless, it still ran. I let it sit for a while, as I was doing some travelling, and moving homes; but when I came back I couldn't get it to start, the dash couldn't read the battery voltage - even after charge/being jumped, and the ignition coil let off white smoke when we first initially tried to jump it. So I replaced the ignition coil and the ignition cylinder to no avail. It still won't start. I used a voltmeter after charging the battery, and everything read normal, tried the key, still no start/no crank. Bypassed the ignition and checked the starter solenoid to see if I could manually crank it that way, and it cranked.
With a charged battery I can honk the horn, turn on the lights, no problem, but I still can't get a crank.
I'm just a learn as I go type person, bu I'm struggling on this one, and can't afford to take her in to a mechanic just yet.
I'll be cleaning the automotive electrical connectors for the alternator and the ignition coil, itself, to see if for any dumb luck of a reason that helps it, but I'm at a loss on where to look next. I have a step by step diagnostics sheet for the ignition system, but it's only helpful if I can get the truck to crank from the ignition, not the starter solenoid.

If anyone has in suggestions/has had the same issue, I'd love to hear what steps to take/y'all took to help get my truck back on the road.
I can post pictures as needed.
Old October 12th, 2019, 7:07 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

well you have power to the things that dont go through the key. not saying the coil didnt smoke but you might want to check the fusable links around the same area as the distributor, on the full size trucks theres also one on the firewall. not sure about yours but i would check that it has a decent size wire going to it then a metal fuse (that looks just like a strip of metal) then another wire.