S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

tbi to carb 4.3

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2019, 4:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got rid of the tbi because i wanted an old school truck, no sensors, no computer, thats what i have now, i have been looking for an s10 for about 3 years with a small v8 auto trans, but every one that i found was built to be a hotrod, and i dont want that so i decided to fix my own and after several told me that the 4.3 was a good engine and that it could be converted to a carb without all the other stuff, i didnt see any sense in pulling the motor and trans out. its running perfectly, the timing is advancing, the auto choke is working properly, i dont see any issues .
Old April 14th, 2019, 5:42 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

alright im going to post this last thing
Ignition Timing for First-Generation GM V-8 Engines

it was written by a guy i know and hes one of the select few that i trust if i couldnt work on it myself
Old April 14th, 2019, 7:28 PM
CF Junior Member

im reading the artice you posted, and i am working off port vacuum, he indicates working off the intake vacuum is better im going to have to spend some time with this to understand and try to get it right.
Old April 14th, 2019, 8:47 PM
I'm here for the party

thats what i was trying to tell you, ported is better for emissions while manifold is better for performance. but also notice he never mentions anything about the vacuum advance getting too much vacuum. some are adjustable but thats to adjust the advance not the vacuum, then you have the counter weights. regardless on what you do with the information, good luck and dont be afraid to ask.
Old April 15th, 2019, 2:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie2sods
i dont have a vacuum leak, i have checked everything, two mechanics told me i would have to restrict the vacuum going to the distributor, i questioned that both of them are long time mechanics, but after i did what they said it solved my issues, thats all i know.
Back in the 1970s lots of vehicles had a vacuum line device that slowed down the speed of the advance. It was nothing more then an early SMOG control device. I wonder if your vacuum advance diaphragm is somehow adjusted to work with this device?
Old April 15th, 2019, 6:36 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks for the response and the help, i am beginning to understand your point now,
Old April 15th, 2019, 6:41 AM
CF Junior Member

the distributor i have is a new hei with the coil built on top, and putting it on this 4.3 s10 there is no extra room, I got it in and working but there is no excess space. as i have said recently i have done away with all sensors and the computer, which is what i have wanted for years now, an old school truck that i can understand and work on, i am going to work with the timing and the carb as irish alley suggested.
Old April 18th, 2019, 10:15 AM
I'm here for the party

charlie got a question about the fitting from the fish tank. is it a ball valve in the sense that its adjustable to limit the air flow?
Old April 24th, 2019, 6:29 PM
CF Junior Member

yes it limits the air flow, there is a plastic plug mounted on the side of the plastic box the ac coil is mounted in under the hood, it has 4 plugs 4 wires and gray in color would you know right off hand what that is, thanks
Old April 24th, 2019, 8:07 PM
I'm here for the party

can you take a picture?