S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Truck runs crappy

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2006, 1:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck runs crappy

1995 S-10 5 speed 2.2L I am wondering what more I need to check on my truck. A week ago it started to chug so I changed the plugs, wires, and fuel filter. That did nothing to improve it. Some more details. When I start in 1st gear it bucks but I can still get up to 75 mph. It cruises ok at that speed but when I step on the gas, that is when I feel the chug and jumping. What else can I check to start ruling out other things? Some one on an earlier thread mentioned a clogged catalytic converter, could that have this kind of effect? I replaced the converter 4 years ago. thanks in advance.
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: Truck runs crappy

The cat. could be the cause but more likley to show issuses when you try and get to 75. It could also be your clutch.
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

lol, take it out and floor it, if its the cat, that will clean it out.
Old October 13th, 2006, 2:08 AM
CF Active Member

RE: MyChivvy "take it out and floor it, if its the cat, that will clean it out.",sorry but i've never had that fix the problem. wanna fix the problem? try starting at your O2 sensor. if it's crapped out, then you're not gettin' the proper info 2 the computer 2 run cleanly (2 rich) *** BE SURE 2 CHECK THE WIRING HARNESS 4 ANY DAMAGED WIRES IN THE O2 CIRCUIT. second, check 2 make sure your injector(s) R runnin' and flowin' properly- this will definately cause a over rich condition and can cause premature O2 failure ( this was the cause behind my brother's '83 S-10 xcab-powered by a '94 4.3L vortec summer truck runnin' like crap and low on power, and the cat was only 6 summers old with 33,000 kilometers on it (about 20,600 miles) and only runs good,brand name gas (Sunoco). this is probably a very good place 2 start, and hopefully gets U the results needed. good luck. (8p
Old October 16th, 2006, 2:09 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks for the suggestions. I will try them tomorrow and post any new findings or if I actually get it to run better.
Old October 25th, 2006, 2:20 AM
CF Active Member

so, hobhancock, how did your diagnosis go? hopefully all the suggestions got u going in the right direction.
Old October 25th, 2006, 2:06 PM
CF Junior Member

I still dont know for sure. A neighbor of mine is taking it in to his shop tomorrow to run a diagnostics on it. I will post again when I get some more information. I just hadnt had time to do any more on it, plus I needed someone that had more equipment to help me out.
Old October 27th, 2006, 1:01 PM
CF Junior Member

My neighbor did a fuel system test and said the pump was only putting 20psi and when under load 10psi. He said the norm is around 45. The pump has been making a lot of noise lately but I was under the impression that when the pump goes it is a gradual loss in power not as if it was mis-firing. So I am changing out the pump tomorrow to see, if it does not fix the problem atleast that part will be eliminate and I need a new pump anyway. Keep you posted.
Old October 30th, 2006, 2:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Verdict is in. It was the fuel pump that had gone crappy. Wasnt pumping enough. I swapped it out on Saturday and the truck runs normal again. What a relief. WAAHOO!!!!!!!
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM
CF Active Member

as aggravating as this has been, at least your truck didn't leave u stranded on the side of the road, in the middle of the night. glad to hear u solved the problem and got your truck fixed.[sm=smiley20.gif]