S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Two Problems - Turn Signal Bar, Side Mirror...

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2009, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Two Problems - Turn Signal Bar, Side Mirror...

Hello,

I posted a thread about my hood latch last week and the results were very helpful. Anyways, I've inherited this 1998 Chevy Blazer, and it has a few more problems. I'm not familiar with this car, so I hope I can get some help.

The problem is this: The bar on the left of the steering wheel (the turn signal/windshield wiper/headlights controller) seems to be broken inside the steering column. I can see broken plastic inside of it. It's very loose and jiggles around. When I turn it to control the wipers, nothing happens. I noticed the fuse for the windshield wipers was out, and when I put it in, the wipers start wiping, but I can't turn them off... Does anyone know if this is a common problem? I'd like to replace if myself if that's possible... (I'm only 17; not so much money)... If I can find the part at a junkyard, is it something I can replace easily, or would that require tearing up the steering column or something?

Also, the driver's side mirror is broken, and the plastic shield-like thing surrounding it on the outside is missing. I can hear air coming in through this area when I drive it. Is this fixable? I'm hoping nothing internal is broken. If I can replace it myself, I'd like to.

I know this is a lot, but I'm hoping someone can help with these issues. I know very little about cars, but I'm willing to learn how to do things by hand. This car belonged to my recently deceased father, and I'd really like to get it fixed up... If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much,
Zach Castle (Yellow Springs, OH)
Attached Thumbnails Two Problems - Turn Signal Bar, Side Mirror...-knob.jpg   Two Problems - Turn Signal Bar, Side Mirror...-mirror.jpg  

Last edited by zfcastle; March 9th, 2009 at 3:31 PM. Reason: attach pictures
Old March 9th, 2009, 5:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Multi-Function Switch: (encompasses Hazard switch, Turn Signal switch, Cruise, and Int. Wiper functions)
You can replace it yourself. They are pretty much plug and play. The trouble is getting to it.

Its better to replace the whole mirror. They shouldn't cost too much at all. In fact, you can get a pair of sport mirrors on ebay for 50 bucks.