S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

universal joint noises also bad shaking at speed

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2008, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default universal joint noises also bad shaking at speed

I have a 2000 s-10 2wd 2.2ltr engine. I have noticed a weird noise coming from under the back end of the truck. It kinda sounds like a peice of wire getting hit against a peice of steel and sometimes when im rolling backwards slow it kinds sounds like a dry bearing rubbing. It happens when i accelerate but when i lay off the gas the noise goes away butsometimes it comes back. Please Help!!! I was thinking it was the universal joint but it wasnt giving me the classic universal joint noise. There is no clunking when i go from park to drive or to reverse. So i dunno????? Also now I have noticed a tremblingcoming fromthe front of the truck. it feels like its coming from the passenger side tire. It shakes only when i get above 30 and once i get going fast it seems to stop. I took the wheel off and the weights are still on the tire. Do you think i still need to check the wheel balance? I also noticed oil comming from the passenger side shock. I think that is shot to but would that have anything to do with the front shaking at the speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My dad died in november nd normally I would as him this stuff. He knew a lot. He was only 52. Dang cancer. Anyways Thanks for all the help!

Mike
Old January 29th, 2008, 7:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: universal joint noises also bad shaking at speed

Sorry for your loss. One of my bestfriends lost his mom to cancer lastweek. She was 48.

I don't think its the u-joint of the driveshaft. It could be either the diff or the transmission. The wheel should be balanced and the tread checked for roundness. Most tire service places will do that for only a small fee. If the shock is leaking it will have to be replaced.
Old January 30th, 2008, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thank You, Once it gets a little warmer out im goin to look into the rear diff. It looks like a project though reading the book. Is there any place i should start?
Old January 30th, 2008, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Im sorry to hear about your dad. My dad also died from kidney cancer when he was 51. He and I built my camaro together and that car means the world to me for that fact.

I Had a very similar noise to what you are describing on my camaro. that turned out to be the U joints. It was like a hollow ticking noise only when i first started to move in either forward or reverse. One of the needle bearings seized in the end caps. Do you have a posi Diff? If the fluid is getting old and not protecting as well as it should it could cause the "dry bearing rubbing" noise. You could pop the diff cover and replace the fluid and add the posi additive if you have posi. But really i get a similar sound coming from my camaro when i make a sharp turns. I Have a Eaton posi unit. I know its set up right becuase i helped the guy who set it up and it's dead on the specs. Its just the clutches in the posi unit working when you turn sharp. Honestly i whould start with the U joints for like 15 bucks its cheap insurance.
Old February 1st, 2008, 8:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Sympathies to you.

Check to see if you have a hanger bearing assembly on the drive shaft just after the transmission.... I had a similar problem to my 03.
Have the ball joints checked ....the S10's are notorious for chewing them up.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to all who posted back! I finally was able to get under my truck and take a close look. It was My rear universal joint! No needle bearings left at all in the caps!!! It was really bad. I was able to drop the driveshaft and replace it! Runs like a charm now! Thanks again!!

Mike
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same truck and sounds like the same problem. I have the driveshaft off and went to remove the universal joints and now im stuck... Any advice on how to remove the u-joints.