S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

water leak on bottom of engine...

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak on bottom of engine...

I have a 99 s 10 with a 4 cyl engine, standard tranny, no mods. It leaks bright green fluid, from the back bottom, drivers side somewhere, it appears to be dripping on the exhaust pipe. However, once the engine warms up pretty good, the leak appears to stop. But you still can smell a burning smell, so it still leaks a bit, but just enough to where it burns off when it hits the pipe, apparently.
Any Idea what or where the leak is coming from?

oh yeah, I have looked pretty closely, it does not appear to be coming off any top hoses or clamps, doesn't appear to be coming off the front anywhere, where the pulleys are(not sure where the water pump is)
and doesn't appear to be coming off anywhere near the radiator itself.
Heater core is fine, and inside the cab is not wet.
Old December 12th, 2009, 2:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was loose bolts and deteriorated gasket on the water pump. if you follow your lower radiator hose to where is goes into the mid to bottom of the engine that is your water pump, it has the fan attached to it. drain your coolant below the where the water pump is at, pull the shroud around the fan and then the fan, pull the water pump (or you can just tighten the bolts, but if you do decide to pull it, i would suggest just replacing the gasket any ways). and try checking the gasket on the thermostat housing while you have your coolant drained (thats where the upper radiator house goes into the top of the engine block). scrap all mounting surfaces down to clean bare metal before putting in the new gaskets and tightening. maybe core plugs (commonly called frost or freeze plugs). they allow for expansion if the coolant in your engine block freezes. and some times as they corrode, they leak slightly (good description and pic on wikipedia). usually hard to get to. dont know where they are at on your engine. worst case scenario, you have a crack in your engine block. no cure for that, unfortunately. good luck.