Show Off Central Come right in and post pictures of your ride, latest modifications, etc. All makes and models welcome!

2018 Malibu SCARED TO DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2019, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Malibu SCARED TO DRIVE

Purchased brand new June 2018. 2018 Malibu LT/Redline Edition. Beautiful car/Love the car!! BUT scared to drive it now. I was driving when suddenly I lost all power. Everything shut off except the engine. Merged to shoulder of road and attempted to move but car would not go faster than 5mp and it sounded as though the brakes were locked. Steering difficult, no AC, no radio etc.. Following lights illuminated on dash: ABS, EMERGENCY BRAKE, TRACTION CONTROL and POWER STEERING DRIVE WITH CARE. I made it to a close by parking lot while brakes were "screeching" / "clanking" and put the car in Park. After gear selector in park all lights remained illuminated and POWER STEERING intermittently flashed STABILITRAK. Could not start car, could not get windows down, could not get car unlocked. FELT TRAPPED. After approx. 10 minutes and numerous attempts to start (push start) driver window went down and I exited the car. Called Roadside assistance and car was towed to dealership. At dealership car started, lights cleared but CHECK ENG illuminated. Dealership investigated finding several fault codes pertaining to vehicle communication system stating vehicle lost communication with everything but no direction as to where to start for a fix because car was operating fine and they could not replicate problem. Was advised to drive the car until it DID or DID NOT happen again. AND I'M SCARED TO DRIVE IT. No reason for a new car with 16,000 miles to lock up and trap you. ( Should I be scared to drive it? I feel it is a safety issue and could be deadly.

Last edited by Kathy Mahan; August 27th, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old August 27th, 2019, 7:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kathy Mahan
Purchased brand new June 2018. 2018 Malibu LT/Redline Edition. Beautiful car/Love the car!! BUT scared to drive it now. I was driving when suddenly I lost all power. Everything shut off except the engine. Merged to shoulder of road and attempted to move but car would not go faster than 5mp and it sounded as though the brakes were locked. Steering difficult, no AC, no radio etc.. Following lights illuminated on dash: ABS, EMERGENCY BRAKE, TRACTION CONTROL and POWER STEERING DRIVE WITH CARE. I made it to a close by parking lot while brakes were "screeching" / "clanking" and put the car in Park. After gear selector in park all lights remained illuminated and POWER STEERING intermittently flashed STABILITRAK. Could not start car, could not get windows down, could not get car unlocked. FELT TRAPPED. After approx. 10 minutes and numerous attempts to start (push start) driver window went down and I exited the car. Called Roadside assistance and car was towed to dealership. At dealership car started, lights cleared but CHECK ENG illuminated. Dealership investigated finding several fault codes pertaining to vehicle communication system stating vehicle lost communication with everything but no direction as to where to start for a fix because car was operating fine and they could not replicate problem. Was advised to drive the car until it DID or DID NOT happen again. AND I'M SCARED TO DRIVE IT. No reason for a new car with 16,000 miles to lock up and trap you. ( Should I be scared to drive it? I feel it is a safety issue and could be deadly.
Hit them with the Lemon Law. Q-C is out the door these days. Make them buy it back from you, OR ELSE!

I drive a 2015' Malibu and its never done anything like this, ever. Guess I got lucky, and with the great 2.5 liter non-turbo motor too!

GM Sued Over Chevrolet Malibu Accelerator Sensor | GM Authority
Old August 28th, 2019, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vehicle shutting off

replace the negative battery cable. should solve problem easyfix
Old August 28th, 2019, 10:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by David Paris
replace the negative battery cable. should solve problem easyfix
2018?

Dealer needs to fix this issue, period. What good is a warranty, if this has to be repaired by the owner?