Show Off Central Come right in and post pictures of your ride, latest modifications, etc. All makes and models welcome!

Paintin the K5

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintin the K5

I've decided its finally time for a decent paint job on my k5 blazer. So I'm stripping it down, fixing all the rust, dents, holes, ect... I want it to look good but i'm not going full on restoration on the paint job. I just want to be able to look at it and see that its all the same shade of black and it doesnt have any rust or holes in it.

I'm not sure what kind of black to paint it yet. I'm most likely going to just pick up a gallon of Ace rust stop (same as rustoleum but has a higher zinc content therefore it stops rust better) I don't know if I should murder it out and go all flat or satin black or if I should go half way decent and use a gloss black and then use a dupli color clear coat over it. It is just a mud bogging truck. Any input would be great. Heres a couple pictures of the truck after day 1...

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM
CF Active Member

Hmm idk what kinda paint & all you should use but I can't wait to see it once it's all done =)
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:18 PM
CF Active Member

Heres an update, I haven't been able to do as much bodywork as I would have liked due to work and all but heres some of the progress, most of this cancer is fixed now I just have to take more pics...

I've decided to go with a summit racing single stage gloss black paint on top of a summit racing epoxy primer to seal all the bare metal. I'm thinking it'll look really good. The hardtop is going to get sanded smooth and then painted satin black. Should be a nice contrast. I'll post more pics with the cancer all fixed soon.
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:19 AM
CF Active Member

Ughh rust, gotta love it, NOT! Cool door sills btw
Old August 16th, 2010, 9:22 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks, I got really bored one day and made those sill plates.

So heres the truck as it stands today almost all the rust has been taken care of. Most of it was cut out and new pannels were welded in and then bondoed over to blend everything in...But I also built some weaker parts up with fiberglass:

Personally I think its coming out pretty dang good for my first time doing any kind of real body work.
Old August 17th, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Junior Member

If you want more practice once you're done with your truck, feel free to come work on mine! Looks good.
Old September 6th, 2010, 7:13 PM
CF Active Member

Heres the pretty much finished product, the paint is as good as its gonna get for painting in a pole barn. I think it came out really good for a bogger but if you get up close you can see some dirt and stuff in the paint but it doesn't bother me.

Personally I like the new emblems the blazer emblems came off a early s10 blazer, they don't say k5 but I like how they look a lot better than the antique orignal emblems. The 350 emblems on the front of the fender came from a 1969 camaro and they look like they belong there (yes its actually a 383 but I couldn't find 383 emblems like that and it was a 350 at one time) Other than that I have some 2006ish silveradio z71 off road decals that I'm gonna but above the tail lights on the rear quarter just because I've seen it and it looks cool, and I have som 2007 impala ss emblems that I may stick on the bottom of the door (they are white and chrome exactly like the 350 emblems) I haven't decided on those yet, the truck might look crowded with those, Idk yet.
Old September 6th, 2010, 9:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good...now that your done.. i want u to come over and do some bodywork on my truck..
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Nice job black is always a painters nightmare. You defenatly pulled it off. Thankfully you got gloss because those flat/matte colors dont like to be scrached with twigs off the trail nice job
Old September 7th, 2010, 9:00 AM
CF Active Member

I was actually just planning to hit it with a satin black rustolum because I have a couple gallons sitting around but half was through the body work I figured it was coming out too nice for that so I picked up some real automotive primer and gloss black paint from summit racing. Its a single stage paint so theres no clear coat needed. It says the paint is supposed to retain its gloss for like 20+ years or something so we'll see.