Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

tahie no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2021, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tahie no oil pressure

I have a2013 chevy tahoe 5.3 blew the engine no oil pressure. I purchased a used engine or it in and started it up and Guage reads no oil pressure. I don't want to blow this up i for to much money in it. It has new oil pump, new oil what is going on?
Old April 23rd, 2021, 7:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 349 Likes on 330 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Try a mechanical oil pressure gauge to get an accurate oil pressure reading.
Old April 23rd, 2021, 10:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

What you might consider, agree with getting a mechanical gauge connected , then disable the engine from starting, then just crank the engine over and see if you are getting any pressure. That way you should lessen the chances of doing any damage it there is any other problem aside from the gauge.
Old May 13th, 2021, 8:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it still has no oil pressure you mention it has new oil pump. They are not self priming so must be primed. Have packed one with Vaseline in the past and it worked. I would think any grease would do.
Old May 15th, 2021, 8:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the wire is not connected up properly to the sending unit or a bad sending unit.Did you use the sending unit that came on the used engine or your original one?
Old June 8th, 2023, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bearbait
If it still has no oil pressure you mention it has new oil pump. They are not self priming so must be primed. Have packed one with Vaseline in the past and it worked. I would think any grease would do.
So let ask you then if the oil pump was not primed would it have to be taken back out to be primed.
Old June 9th, 2023, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

If the pump was not primed properly,, will it have to be taken back out and primed. ?????
Old June 10th, 2023, 7:40 AM
CF Active Member

yes it should be primed
Old June 10th, 2023, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

yes it should be primed

So it has to be taken back off the engine to do that. ?
I am a haft a mechanic but I believe I couldn't do it if someone could tell me the basics of it , Done spent alot of moneofat this point.
Old June 10th, 2023, 10:38 AM
CF Active Member

Sorry, I have never done it but know of someone who had the same problem after rebuilding engine. He asked me why he had no oil pressure and after telling me about new oil pump I suggested priming pump.He packed the pump with Vaseline and it did the trick Don;t know what is involved. .Maybe an experienced mechanic will chime in and help you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: tahie no oil pressure