Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

tahie no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2023, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 silverado so I went by the GM dealer this morning and

Originally Posted by bearbait
Sorry, I have never done it but know of someone who had the same problem after rebuilding engine. He asked me why he had no oil pressure and after telling me about new oil pump I suggested priming pump.He packed the pump with Vaseline and it did the trick Don;t know what is involved. .Maybe an experienced mechanic will chime in and help you. Good luck.
so I went by the GM dealer this morning and their head guru says that the oil level sensor on the block at the back of the starter has something to do with how your oil pump reacts when it's not sensing oil in the pan , so if it's not working properly then I guess it don't pump, I don't see how this is possible sense there is no electrical connection on it, he said something to do with pressure.
Buttttt at this point I will try any thing.
Old June 13th, 2023, 5:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 654 Likes on 594 Posts

oil pumps are mechanical, not electrical.
Old June 13th, 2023, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

I thought that to but he gets the big bucks for knowing .
I am going to.change the oil level sensor in the morning just to say I changed it,
it still has one lifter that taps occasionally but I am driving it with 38 llbs of oil pressure I guess when it pops I will stick another one in it. Rebuilt Trans, body is still good shape to junk.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
What you might consider, agree with getting a mechanical gauge connected , then disable the engine from starting, then just crank the engine over and see if you are getting any pressure. That way you should lessen the chances of doing any damage it there is any other problem aside from the gauge.
I didn't prime the oil pump but I took the pump back out and used a drill to turn the pump manually while the siphon tube was in a bucket of oil. It has great volume at low speeds. If it does this, could it still be a problem with priming the pump? It seems like the pump is working but nothing is flowing through the engine. I've got the valve covers off and can see that no oil is flowing through the push rods